Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 67 Cougar , 289 motor, I had a problem the other day big time, car was running , went to shut car off, car continued to run , even with key turned off and removed. So I had to pull coil wire , then motor died , but then it keep trying to start until starter was grinding, pulled the NEG battery terminal, finally everything stopped. So I went and bought a new ignition switch and installed it and also installed new solonoid relay, now with both solonoid relay coil wires not connected (meaning the two small wires that plug onto the solonoid relay disconnected) now I installed battery first the positive terminal, then as soon as I installed the negative terminal on battery the car tried to start all on its own, how is this possible. Could the starter motor itself be grounded , if I put a continuty tester lead on the wire that goes to starter and the other lead to ground ( any metal on car ) I read continuty

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
If you are reading continuity, then something is amiss. It sounds like the old ignition switch may have caused something to go haywire in the starter. But if power is not applied to the solenoid, then power should not be getting to the starter. The solenoid may need a tap with a hammer, may be in the closed postion for some reason, or you got one that was assembled incorrectly.

·
Registered
913 Posts
If your relay is good, it will not pass current to the starter, so bad relay!

·
Registered
380 Posts
that is a great mystery! please report back with what you find. i had a similar situation with my '70 351W, but i'm pretty sure it's just a bad ignition switch ( on the column of my car). it was making contacts even when the plunger was up. but if your switch was doing the same thing, i don't see how you get power to the starter with the relay disconnected???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts