Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I'm correct in my research a VIN can't varify an Eliminator because it was on an option not a model so what obvious points should I look for ?

Tach ? Clock? Cluster lights?
anything else that can really help..?
It's a 1970 I'm looking at BTW
Thanks so much

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah...just may not have time for that...
they are back up 6 days at the moment...so I was hoping for any other sure fired ways to know

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Go check out this page:

http://www.cougarclub.org/Cougars101/elim.shtml

Lot's of useful information to indentify the car properly.

If you've seen the door tag and are sure it's original, the eliminator only colors are a good clue. It also must be a "91" body style in the vin and cannot have an H code engine.

Interior on a 70 elim must be either black or white. Except blue, which could have a pastel blue interior.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I know of a 70 eliminator with a ginger interior and compitition gold exterior.(it's in Portland OR if I remember corectly) If you look at the "spoilers hold it down, Nothing holds it back' add, that one has ginger interior. Any way the info given so far is about the only things that can be used. If it has a Boss 302 code "G" engine it also has to bee an Eliminator. The Marti report, a build sheet, or an invoice are the best proof in my openion. Neal.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
The following options were unique to the Eliminator:
Certain colors like The Competition Colors and Bright Yellow.
Dash panels were finished in camera case black
Hood Scoop, chin spoiler and rear spoiler
High back bucket seats, most with comfortweave
No "H" in the VIN...must be "M""S""R" and I forget what the code for the Boss 302 is.
Styled steel rims
'70's had blacked out tail lights and grill, '69's had blacked out grills
'70's had a cat as an emblem on the gas door
'70's had a trunk prop rod
etc...
Check out www.cougarclub.org and go to Cougars 101 for more information. Of course a previous owner could have added options for an Eliminator Clone and you might never know.....
unless.....you contact Kevin Marti....he is the only person who can tell you for sure. You might also want to check with Frank Bowers the Eliminator registrar and see if the car has been reported in the past. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Here's the Ad in question. I don't know if it was available or not. Ads and brochures are notoriously wrong, but if the interior was available in that color who knows? Was it part of the Decor Interior?

Also ALL the 428CJs were Q codes in 1970 and the non-Ram Air 428CJs in 1969.

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://hometown.aol.com/timbrands/Cougar.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts