Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year to all.

I have replaced the power steering components in my '68 (302 base). The routing of the hoses from the pump, through the engine bay, to the control valve is suspect (I have discovered a previous owner was a really bad mechanic). The manual has one picture that suggests my suspision is correct though is to close-in to really help.

Can someone with a similar car snap a couple pictures showing the hose routing through the engine bay and around the control valve and pitman arm.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Peter

·
Registered
379 Posts
I replaced both hoses from the pump to the control valve and from the control vavle to the ram, they were after market hoses and were not correct, I had to loop the upper hose up and under the master c and back down to touch the lower hose right where the power steering bracket mounts. I have headers so i wraped both hoses heavy with heat shield wrap and had to make a u shape bracket pointing downward to keep the hoses from touching the headers, and also allow enough space for the hoses to move freely. There isn't much room but it works well , the bracket I made was the trick, after toasting (2) hoses I got pissed. Make sure you allow room for the hoses to move easily.
Good luck
PB out

·
Registered
638 Posts
I recommend the big block routing also... even if you don't have headers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts