Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My former stepfather had a 1970 Cougar (non-XR-7) that was white with a black and white houndstooth vinyl top. It was also black and white in the interior, but I can't remember if it had black or white seats. I think there may have been houndstooth inserts.

Unfortunately, he sold it to his daughter in the early 80's and she painted the vinyl top black because she thought it was "ugly".
:cry:

How rare was this car? I've never seen another one.

Does anyone make replacement houndstooth vinyl tops?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
There was an earlier post about this. As I recall there was no houndstooth vinyl to be found, but I didn't follow the thread that closely. If you do a site search for houndstooth vinyl and it should pop up. G' luck!

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I had one of these that was an XR7. I did an extensive search for the houndstooth top and came up empty. Good luck! I sold the car just last year.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I purchased the original houndstooth material from a company in Michigan. NOS Automotive Fabrics - (810) 727-2486, They purchased all the material from Ford each year. I have the ginger/black houndstooth on the seats, it wasn't cheap but it turned out really nice. I'm sure they have the material for the vinyl roof as well. Ask them to send you a sample.

RayJ
70 XR7

1 - 4 of 4 Posts