Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've gotten replies from 2 major resto places from opposite ends of the US continent, and they say the vinyl top stuff is not available. My 70 XR-7 originally had that, and was replaced with a black one somewhere in it's life, which is in need of coming off anyway because it's shot and I have some bubbles forming in the pillar. There's gotta be some in an attic or somewhere.
:( If not, then when I get to the body and paint, I'll have to get a match to the medium ginger interior color on the gold exterior.
Willie

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Ray Harwood, who posts her regularly, has a line on the interior fabric. Unfortunately I haven't heard of any vinyl top material being available.

Remember that the search is part of the fun (!?!?) Somebody has to have it, or maybe it can be reproduced. Good Luck :)

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://hometown.aol.com/timbrands/Cougar.html

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I think I'd like to go with a close match to the interior, rather than black for the top. I have preferred lighter colors that get less hot in the sun and summer heat. The gold would look good I'd think with the brown or med. ginger top.
Unless someone an give me a good reason why I need to put a black vinyl top on, since the original houndstooth material isn't available; other than I don't know if any Cougars came with a brown vinyl top. It's not like I'm going to end up with a concours show piece, I just want a clean, nice looking, dependable car..
Willie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts