Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to tell how many splines are on an axle? I've got a 67 Cougar with what I believe is an open 3.00 8" diff.

I'm just curious because I found a complete 8.8" 31 spline rear diff from a Crown Vic on CList with Posi and 3:23 gearing for 200 and a set of 3:73 gears for 150. It'd be nice to have a Posi 3:73 rear for (probably) less than 350. I thought maybe I could toss that in place of the one I have provided it will fit with most everything else. Would it work or would I need new axles or any other new parts? (I obviously don't know much about diffs or rear ends)

Any info would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In any case, how do I tell how many splines I have so I know which gear set to buy?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One last question. Does the gear spline have to match the axle spline exactly (I assume it would)? Every gear set I've found has a 25 spline (Summit, Jegs, MustangsPlus, etc.). I'm having a hard time finding any that are 28 spline in the 8", only in the 8.8" and 9". I have founf drop-in diffs that are 28 spline but no pinion gear sets. Am I just not looking hard enough?

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
One last question. Does the gear spline have to match the axle spline exactly (I assume it would)? Every gear set I've found has a 25 spline (Summit, Jegs, MustangsPlus, etc.). I'm having a hard time finding any that are 28 spline in the 8", only in the 8.8" and 9". I have found drop-in diffs that are 28 spline but no pinion gear sets. Am I just not looking hard enough?
I believe that the 25 spline count, is for the 8 inch pinion gear.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah. So they aren't related. Good to know. I guess any 8" gear set would do then?

·
Registered
218 Posts
RedCougar, while you have your learning on, if you have any other questions related to the splines themselves, feel free to ask as my company makes the splines on those shafts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts