Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...Well, since my last post (which was in regards to my 351C running hot at idle) I'm happy to report that using Don's suggestion of the restrictor plate underneath a 351W thermostat. The engine has never run as cool as it is right now! So, one problem down, one to go. I replaced the starter with a high torque mini starter from Summit racing and it works great. It helps with the hot start issue, but it is still not easy to start when it is hot. The carb was recently replaced by a local shop and the points system was removed and replaced with an electronic system. All in all, the engine is running beautifully, but I'm wondering if I am dealing with a little bit of vapor lock or if the carb needs a spacer (not sure if this is the correct terminology, but I've been trying to read similar posts). Has anyone else tried either insulating the fuel line or using a spacer to keep the carb from getting hot with any success? Thanks as always for your input, its already made a huge difference. Tyson

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
What sort of intake manifold is on there? What kind of carb? Is there a spacer between them now? If so, is it aluminum or phenolic/plastic material?

If you don't have one now, a phenolic carb spacer can't hurt and will probably help. Thicker is generally better, but depending on what sort of intake and air cleaner you're using, hood clearance could be an issue. Try to use at least a 1/2 inch spacer if you can. The style of intake manifold you're running may dictate the type of spacer, but as a rule of thumb, open spacers are better for top-end power, four-hole spacers are better for torque.

Also, be sure to verify, if you haven't already, that the choke is set correctly and isn't sticking partially on after the engine has warmed up, since that can also cause hot start problems.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
A spacer couldn't hurt for sure, but it's possible your timing needs just a tweak, or you may have a slight vac leak somewhere...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello...I wish I had more information, but I am going to attach pictures which might give more information. I know there is not a spacer there currently between the manifold and the carb, but I don't know what sort of intake manifold is there currently. The carb is brand new and was installed by a local shop that has a great reputation. It is an Edelbrock Thunder Series carb (I will attach a picture of the box). The funny thing is that the car was doing this exact same thing before we replaced the carb, and the local shop said that the previous carb was notorious for getting hot and flash boiling fuel. Supposedly this one does n 055.jpg ot, however the issue still exists. If I wanted to try a spacer, where would you recommend purchasing one? And as far as checking to see if the choke 053.jpg is set correctly and not sticking, how would I go about doing that? Sorry to show my ignorance, and I really do appreciate the feedback. Thanks, Tyson 052.jpg

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
When you took the pic was it hot or cold engine?...I assume warmed up since choke is open? I can't tell if its electric choke or not (assuming it is..?) I'd start with the simple things first....look to be sure the choke is closed when cold after you press on the gas once to set it. If that looks good, then be sure all the vac lines are connected/good. Then start it up, and try spraying carb cleaner around the base of the carb, and various vacuum related connections to see if you can make it stumble. (nothing should change) That would lead you to trouble point if there's a vac leak. hate to see you spend $ on something that may not be the problem.....keep at it, let's see what shakes out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts