Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 68 with a '73 8.5-1 compression ratio 302 (original engine was stolen in the mid 70's). It was originally all stock with a 2bbl. But I've added a Edelbrock 600cfm 4bbl, Edelbrock performer 302 intake manifold, headers, and dual exhaust. Not a heck of a lot yet, I'm just looking for an estimate on the horsepower it has now. Hard to tell cause it has the lower compression engine.

Thanks, Nate B

·
Registered
457 Posts
check the valve clearance and the deck height and see if you can mill the block or heads down a few thousands to get that compression back up.

·
11,000 Posts
Changing to a set of '67 289-4V heads will bring compression up at least a full point. Maybe worth 30 - 40 horsepower. As it is right now probably 165 horsepower gross, around 125 at the wheels.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I don't think it's emabarrasing....it's the design of the times. You can improve on it if ya want, but moving to a modern mill would benefit you more ultimately

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hahaha Im embarassed because in '68 a stock 302 2v was kicking out 210hp I really wish I still had the original engine!

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Geeze that's pothetic a v8 only kicking out just over 100hp hahaha oh well to bad they lowered the compression ratio.

Thanks for your help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts