Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cleaned up the two horns for the 70 Cougar so I could put a little paint on them. must have gotten some debris into the diaphragm 'cause they both sounded a little sick when i got them back on. shook out as much junk out of there as i could and cleaned up all the ground connections. they both sound much better, but maybe not 100%.

anything else i can do to maximize the decibels? thanks-

billy

·
Registered
173 Posts
My horns were bad from sitting out in the rain for a few years. Wasn't planning on reusing them anyway. But, I bought some new ones from autozone. Wasn't too worried about what they were. Just wanted them to work in case the DMV wanted them working when they inspected my car. (they never asked me to honk the horn by the way)
Anyway, they sounded really weak, flat, and pathetic at first. Actually for a while. I checked the grounds and connections over and over. Decided to leave it and replace them later but one day they just decided to work. They are super loud and will definately grab someones attention.
Maybe they just need a while to break in like mine? Probably not. Especially if they are the origionals. But I'm no expert. I still don't know why my horns didn't work right at first.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Piece of cake. Adjust the screw on the side of the horn(s) whilst the horn(s) is operating, tuning for best/loudest sound.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts