Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 74 cougar and was wondering if anybody knows if there is a horn rely or not. My horns don't work and all I hear is a clicking sound if I press the horn button. Also the ground wire in the steering wheel gets hot after pushing horn. On top of that my battery drains if I leave my horns connected.

Thanks for any help.
Guy

·
Registered
396 Posts
That doesn't sound good... I have a '68 that I was able to fix by putting a relay switch for the horns that connected straight to the battery and used the horn button on the steering wheel as the "trigger" to close the cuircut and make the horns sound. I don't know if this is what you are looking for? I will look and see what the part # for the relay was and the wiring diagram if you are interested in giving this a shot. Mine was a few years older than yours so things may be different but thought I would put it out there in case this might help.
Charlie

·
Registered
913 Posts
Take a wire direct from the battery and hook to each horn and see if they will blow one at a time and if they are good, hook them back up one at a time and try them from inside and see if that works. Horns get old and it takes more current to make them work, adding a relay is the way to go ,as mention above.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts