Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My project car is irritating me. Tried to start the Cat and it was completely dead. Battery is only a few months old. Horn cuts out when turning wheel, flashers get stuck after two flashes. I think some wires in the steering column are causing the battery drain, the horn cutting out, and flashers getting stuck. Then again I could have three different problems.

This happened the morning after I put some front marker lights on - I think this is coincidental though.

Any suggestions before I rip the steering wheel apart? Horn/steering wheel is an aftermarket Grant. Wiring is original and probably in need of replacement. Car was a rescue from an auto garage and is a blast to drive - when I can get the parts to work at the same time.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
Did you use Cougar front parking/turn signal lights?. Don't use the Mustang reproductions. Even though they look correct the wires to the plug are incorrect.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Check all your fuse holders. Unplug your battery and scuff up the fuse holders some. That caused a short with my turn signals and when I started moving the fuse around, it sparked some and then worked for a while. I replaced the fuse holder and it works perfect. National Parts Depot has replacement holders. They are tough to change without taking the box out of the car. As far as the horn thing...thats above my paygrade.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I would pull the steering wheel. Those aftermarket wheels were notorious for messing with the turn signal switch wiring. Especially depending upon how well, or badly, it was installed. Check it now before it goes up in flames.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

·
I thought I changed this?
1,213 Posts
I have a grant on mine too, and for a while, no matter what i tried, i couldn't get the horn working.

Turned out there was a broken wire inside the harness containing the wires coming from the steering column.
This covered the turn signals, and the horn.
With things like this it's always worth giving everything a wiggle test, just in case you've disturbed something.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I had a post where I talked about having a horn problem. I have 2 rebuilt horns and one of them doesn't work correctly anymore. The low horn just makes a clunk sound when I press the button. I have a Grant Steering wheel. I'm thinking that I have something loose in the horn button area. I refurbished the steering wheel and put in a new steering wheel kit. The hi horn works just fine.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
My horn was inconsistent (Grant wheel) until I put a relay in the circuit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts