Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1968 Cougar, (94-302). Grant steering wheel - horn was working for a year and now cuts out after one blast. Where is the circuit relay for this horn? Is there one? I am tempted to bypass any stock wiring and go directly to the battery completely. It is not the horn button but did not look beyond the contact plate into the steering column. Turn signal switch was new a year ago. Jiggling wheel, switch etc did not work.

Last week discovered that my 351W was actually a 302HO from a 94 after pulling the starter. Firing order the same for 302HO and 351W but not the standard 302. Mixed answers on possible horsepower of the 302HO from '94 - anyone else have this engine in their Cougar?

·
Registered
913 Posts
To check horn, disconnect wires from horns, attach a volt meter to horn wire and push horn button and hold and see if 12 volts stays on goes, if it stays then you have a bad horn, if not it is in the switch or wiring. Hook up one horn at a time and see if that makes a differance!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
So you are still wanting to be "horny" after the first blast! LOL ------Sorry, couldn't resist

It's not unusal fo somebody to transplant a late model engine in these. JUst keep that in mind when you order parts since there are a few things that are different. 289/302 shares the same firing order, 351 W is different but is a popular "upgrade" to the 302 cam when somebody mod's the motor for more performance.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
302ho and 351w share the same firing order. Regular 302 is different. Found that out the hard way. Figured out the horn - thanks-

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
The horn in my 69 XR 7 became inconsistent when I installed my newer Grant wheel. I added a relay to the circuit (there is no relay from the factory) and now it works every time I press the button.

·
Registered
542 Posts
302ho and 351w share the same firing order. Regular 302 is different. Found that out the hard way. Figured out the horn - thanks-
What was the issue with the horn? Do they both have to be connected for the to work?

If you cant tell, im still having horn issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts