Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a post from 2002 and gather that to get my hood to sit down over the hinges the rear of the hinge has to be down as far as possible and the front of the hinge adjusted as high as necessary. Is this a correct assumption? There was no final reply of confirmed success in the thread. Also if this is the proper method to adjust the hinge and there is no more adjustment left and it still wont sit down should I elongate the front bolt slot to let the front of the hinge tilt up more or the rear bolt slot to allow the hinge to tilt lower in the rear or both? Im about to drill all three of the bolt slots 1/4" on the top and bottom and go for broke but dont want extra work if not necessary. West coast cougar has new hinges for about $100 a pair but mine appear to be in good shape with new springs. The weld nuts in the fender skirts are good too. Hinges didnt sit well with the original or new springs. The front of the hinges do lean slightly toward the center of the engine bay slightly but not enough one would think to be a problem. they are generally parrallel with the fender skirts. Any input is appreciated before I break out the heat wrench and grinder tomorrow. Daniel

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah - it's not easy to line them up......it's just a matter of fussing with it and be careful you don't bind it as it will bend easily.....

·
Registered
669 Posts
pivot the hinge forward and the hood should sink down

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Adjusting is ineffective if the hinges are worn.

·
Super Moderator
11,006 Posts
Actually the opposite is true. Pivot the hinge rearward and it lowers the rear of the hood at the corners.

pivot the hinge forward and the hood should sink down

·
Registered
913 Posts
Adjusting is ineffective if the hinges are worn.
I second this, 40+year old hinges are worn and probably need to be re built. There is a place here in Va. that does it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I picked up a set on eBay that had been "re-done", after a little fussing with the bolts positions, it finally fit as it should. They can be a pain in the but but having an extra helper or two will make the job a lot easier. The last resort is to hog out the holes in the hinge to make it work. Hope this is of some help.
Charlie

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ok I found this after spending hours today trying to adjust the rear height of my hood. I read a post somewhere else about rotating the rear of the hinge down so that is what I attempted. Well the result was a hood now sitting higher by the cowl so I assumed maybe the entire hinge needs to be lowered and that did not work either. So now I read this thread and there seems to be two completely different opinions. Has anyone since the last post solved their problem. Tomorrow I will attempt rotating them up in back and down in front to see if that works. But if that does not work I will probably get new hinges from WCCC and start all over. My other thought was to take it to someone who works on and restores older cars and pay them to do it and save myself the aggravation. They'd probably look at me funny agree to do it and hand me back my car five minutes later with the hood sitting flush and then take my money. LOL

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had the same problem only after closing the hood I could push down on the rear of the hood and it would seat even with the cowl. I changed the hinges this weekend with the ones from WCCC and the alignment although a hassle came out perfect. I caution you about moving the hood and opening and closing the hood as if it isn't straight it could hit at any corner. I did mine by myself so it is a pain and a helper would have been great. I did find that I had plenty of movement at any corner both left to right and up or down and it was just a matter of position and snug the bolts, position and snug, position and snug, you get the picture.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have had this problem since I bought my car and got new hinges installed back in 2008. My hood sits high on the driverside, I always have to push it down after I open the hood. I'll grab my son and have at it this weekend while he's on break from college. Thanks for giving me yet another father son automotive bonding experience.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had the same problem only after closing the hood I could push down on the rear of the hood and it would seat even with the cowl. I changed the hinges this weekend with the ones from WCCC and the alignment although a hassle came out perfect. I caution you about moving the hood and opening and closing the hood as if it isn't straight it could hit at any corner. I did mine by myself so it is a pain and a helper would have been great. I did find that I had plenty of movement at any corner both left to right and up or down and it was just a matter of position and snug the bolts, position and snug, position and snug, you get the picture.
Sounds like my Sunday. I did order the passenger side hinge( I would have ordered both but the drivers side is out of stock) this morning as I know that one is worn. So I will attempt again when it arrives.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
make sure to mark your hinges where they are at now for a reference - it will help aligning it and hopefully prevent binding. Don't force anything......just work it slowly and you will be golden.

·
Registered
207 Posts
make sure to mark your hinges where they are at now for a reference - it will help aligning it and hopefully prevent binding. Don't force anything......just work it slowly and you will be golden.
I had an epiphany last night!!!!!! (Didn't even hurt) I went back though all the photos I've taken and found ones that clearly showed the hinge positions before I messed with them. I went out to the garage about an hour ago with the laptop and went to work on repositioning each to match the pictures. There is an indentation in the sheet metal where the hinge mounts that I used as my guide. Now here is what I discovered. When I got the hinge in position with the two bottom bolts I tightened them down. However the top bolt position still seemed higher than in my photos. So what I did was to start to lower the hood and this caused the hinge plate to flex downward and I could see it lower itself by maybe an eighth of an inch or more. So I grabbed my ratchet and with one hand lowered the hood and with the other tightened the top bolt when it reached it's furthest downward position. I repeated this on the passenger side and then when I lowered my hood it was pretty close to where it was before I screwed it up. So now I'm thinking I'll wait for the drivers side hinge to become available and then before I even attempt changing them I will outline clearly the placement of the old hinges just in case!!!!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
SWEET! Aren't digital pics that cat's pajama's!? Makes me wish I had one 20 years ago..... ;>P

·
Registered
207 Posts
Latest update - I finally found and ordered the drivers side hinge and mounting hardware and it arrived yesterday. So today I decided to tackle removing my hood and replacing the hinges with the new premium replacements. Well with some reservations I got my wife, son, and my sister in-law to help remove it. Once it was off I removed the springs and then the hinges. With the springs off and the weight of the hood removed it became very obvious that both hinges were shot. They both flopped around and both had loose pivots. So in went the new and then reattached the hood aligning the marks I used from the old. Then I lowered the hood without the springs to get an idea where I needed to adjust. Then I put the springs back on and carefully adjusted one side at a time ever so slightly. Well after about three adjustments on each one, THE FREAKIN HOOD WAS BETTER ALIGNED AND SAT PERFECTLY AT THE COWL!!!!

So I have only one suggestion before anyone attempts to adjust their hood with the original hinges - DON'T!!!! It's not worth the wasted effort. Get solid replacements or buy the premium ones like I did. In a little over two hours the job was done and my hood never looked better.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
LOL - don't fix what ain't broke and don't try to fix what's broke like hell.........ya know we need pics to verify! :>P Glad you got it........some battles fee like victories

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yay, I never would have thought new hinges would solve all my hood issues. The original appearing hinges on the car looked fine, tight rivets and all but were thin metal and bowed in slightly. Installed WCCC thicker replacement hinges and I couldn't be happier. I am usually skeptical of vendor opinions but Don Rush has never steered me wrong. Daniel Kozak 1970 351w Vert.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts