Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just found this Eliminator for sale on the net.
I was surprised. I have never seen any 69 Cougar with tach on the hood.
Was this an original option equipment in 0_9F91M572237000000-1.jpg 0_9F91M572237000000-9.jpg
1969 for Fords and Mercurys??? I have never seen it in any F-L-M brochure.
I really like it. :)

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Must a fell off the GTO that got his doors blown off! ;>)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:)
No, this is not a GTO tach. Shape is a little different on GTO and the is no pontiac sign on the gauge face.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Hood tachs were not a production option but were available over the counter at your friendly neighborhood Ford or Lincoln/Mercury dealer.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hood tachs were not a production option but were available over the counter at your friendly neighborhood Ford or Lincoln/Mercury dealer.
Thank you.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
This one has been for sale for a month or 2, and they have been relisting it frequently on CL ~ to keep it near the top of the searches, I imagine.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I've seen those in Ford accessory brochures from the period. They were intended as an add-on for Fairlanes, base Mustangs and Cougars, and similar cars that didn't come with a tachometer. They looked cool, but were notoriously hard to read in less than ideal lighting conditions. Adding one to a car that came with a factory in-dash tach seems kinda goofy.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've seen those in Ford accessory brochures from the period. They were intended as an add-on for Fairlanes, base Mustangs and Cougars, and similar cars that didn't come with a tachometer. They looked cool, but were notoriously hard to read in less than ideal lighting conditions. Adding one to a car that came with a factory in-dash tach seems kinda goofy.
Honestly, I do not like the factory in-dash tach.It is everything but not cool in a 60-70s muscle car at all.That is why I was thinking in something alse. I think the streering wheel mount Sunpro SST802R tachometer will be the way to go.

·
Registered
544 Posts
This car was owned by a CCNJPA member for many years and comes with an interesting story. My recollection is that the tach was supposedly installed by the dealer.

Steve

·
Registered
390 Posts
The tach out there on the hood right in your line of sight, its awesome when at 110mph not having to take your eyes off the track to see your RPM. I have mine customized with new electronics and shift light, love it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I thought I once saw a column mounted tach that said Cougar on it. Am I wishful thinking, or did such a tach really exist?

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
I found an NOS piece and but one on my '69 GT Mustang Convertible. It's definately a conversation piece and something I enjoy having. Espcially as that model Mustang did not have an indash tach.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts