Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Stripes

Tad,
The Marti report (Delux) just calls for the Decor group that is orderd with the Eliminator, and I thought that the stripe kit was included in the package.
But I am not sure as no one has ever told me this before, and I would like to know also.
When I recieve my paperwork from Mrs. Lois Eminger maybe it will shed light on this subject if someone cant tell us for sure.
BTW- I saw the other thread where someone pointed out the Eliminator on your site has the "Bullit" rocker moldings. (SWEET)
shane:D

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Good question!!!!!

I'm not sure. It's not on my Eminger report. But I *think* it was included early in the model year along with the hood pin/lanyards. Both may have been deleted later, as hood pins have been seen as an option on Marti/Eminger Reports. My hood pins appear to have been original. The hood stripe was not part of the Eliminator package to the best of my knowledge.

As a futher note, in my early pre-Eliminator Cougar brochure it lists a 351 Performance Group that included the 351-4V, hood stripes in black or silver with 351 insignia (no hood scoop mentioned), WSW F70X14 belted tires and comp handling package.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
shane from what i have found they were not part of the origanal package but do look kewl but the only stipes should be on the side.

·
Registered
488 Posts
351 performance package

my 69 XR-7 had 351 performance group on the eminger paperwork but my 428 car makes no mention of it but does have the stripes and lanyards. i assume on a small block it was part of a package but on a CJ it is part of the engine package so it is not listed seperately. of course it would not be used on an eliminator due to the nature of the package. hawkrod

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
According to the facts and features manual the stripe came as part of the 351 Performance Group option or with 428 engine package. Hood lock pins were optional with Ram Air only

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
My previous 69 was a 351 performance group car and documented with a copy of the original invoice but it made no specfic mention of the hood stripe on the invoice.

My car had the hood stripe and I was told by the prior owner that the stripe was part of the 351 performance group. The prior owner was a reginal director of the CCOA so I assume he would have had the contacts to make sure his statment was correct. mm

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Stripes!

As I said I guess my resto will become less, and less concourse.
Jennifer really likes them and I think they look bad*ssed.
They are definatly on my list of things to include, for the finished picture.:D

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Hawkrod, your 428CJ Cat doesn't have the stripe and hood pins listed on the Eminger report either? What was the build date? Could you scan me a copy?

Leon, have you seen the hood pins listed separately? I've heard of that too. What was the build date?

I investigated this awhile ago. To the best of my knowledge (slight as it may be ;-) since mine is an early Nov 15 1968 build date there were some running changes, head restraints were optional, I have chrome valve covers, and the hood pins were included. Later (Jan. 1 1969???) 428CJ Cougars seem to have the head restraints as standard, had aluminum valve covers and the hood pins were optional.........at least that's my theory! LOL All 428CJ (maybe just Ram Air ???) non-Eliminator Cougars had the hood stripe included (but not memtioned on the invoice). Anybody have a Q code out there?

LiLWrink, as for putting a hood stripe on an Eliminator it's not "correct" per se, but it looks great. But they are a PITA to install. It took me and others four times to get it right.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My '69 Eliminator 428CJ, built in late April had the aluminum valve covers also. The hood pins were an option on the ram air cars only and listed as such on my Marti report. The hood stripe was not part of the Eliminator package, although I always thought it should have been. It's one of the nicest hood stripes on any muscle car. I had an "R" code standard '69 when I was a teenager and it did have the hood stripe. Never saw one on a "Q" code. The CCOA doesn't seem to think there was any rhyme or reasons for the cars that had the stripes.

Barry

·
Registered
448 Posts
Tim,
My stripe went on first shot. Patience, warm soapy water, some sponges, a blow dryer, and six pack of a Guinness. It took two hours to work the contuors on the end of the hood, but it can be done fairly easily. I once saw an original 351 4V car that had the factory stripe without the scoop. It looked a little funny, but with the hood scoop, the cougar hood stripe is one of the nicest most tasteful graphics of the era. It really is too bad the Eliminators did not get them.
Paul G.
69 XR7 Convertible w/hoodstripe

Attachments

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I dont think they look funny! LOL I do like the stripes running under the scoop though. I have already thought that for the next cougar I would see if I could get the stripes made up with 460 on them !!! mm

Attachments

·
Registered
3,141 Posts

Mark, If you find someone to do them right, let me know. I am looking for someone to do a set on mine, either paint or decal. There is a local that says he can do them in vinyl but I haven't seen his work yet. If I find someone to do it I will let you know.
BTW: Last I knew JCC was selling the cat head decal. Don't know the cost.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Took two tries to get my hood stripe on. I bought first from Marti and second from Graphic Express.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Do the stripes you got go all the way up the hood? and how much do they taper? I am wondering if I could cut out the engine size and reconnect the ends to make one continous stripe into the hood scoop......

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hood Stripe

Tim,
You are not alone. I think I may be the only cougar owner ever to get the stripe to go on first try. I have heard horror stories about people using 2,3,4 sets before getting them on right. "Cougar Bill" emailed me very clear instructions ricght down to the numbers of beers required to get it right. I wish I had kept the instructions because when I finish the 428 swap, I'll need to apply a new decal. The key to getting it to go on is to start at the front, and keep wetting and drying the part that goes over the compound curves. The repeated wetting and drying causes the vinyl to eventually shrink to fit the curves. It is not easy, but it works.

Mark,
The car that I saw that had the original 351 stripe, and it did not seem to go as far up the hood towards the windshield as the one on your SS. That is why it seemed to look a little funny. Was the stripe kit on your car an original stripe? The aftermarket stripe kits vary from vendor to vendor. The 351 kit I got from Mustangs Unlimited is different than the ones from Kevin Marti or Johns. However the MU stripe has a cut out where you place either the 351 or 428 numbers. So if you used that kit, you could apply the stripe and then just find 4 6 0 numbers to put in
place of the 351 or 428.

Paul G.
69 XR7 Convertible

1 - 20 of 41 Posts