Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can't get the back of the hood to sit flush with the cowl. searched the forum and found the obvious answers - try adjusting first and if that doesn't work, replace the springs.

WCCC only has used springs on line. don't really see the point in replacing a used spring with another used spring. i have owned the car since 1979 so i'm pretty sure the springs on the car are OE. anyone have a link to somewhere that sells new springs? thanks

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
The springs don't really have much to do with the alignment. If you have tried "tilting" the hinges (down as far as they will go in the back and up as far as they will go in the front) and it still sits too high I would recommend replacing the hinges. Once the pivot points are worn out you will never get them to be correct. Only problem is the reproduction hinges are not very good. Find a set of NOS ones and save yourself some headaches.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
is it too high? Instinct is to adjust the hinges all the way down to make the hood sit lower, but you actually have to bring them up so that they can complete their lowering action, letting the hood sit level with the cowl.

Bring them all the way up first, then adjust down from there.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Holy smokes, Sean......Guess I'll have to give that a try, too....been contemplating slotting the hinge holes further to get them down lower on mine....thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in the course of trying to adjust the driver side hinge, i found out one of the fender bolts was stripped. i found a 5/16 inch coarse thread bolt to replace it, but it snapped in two while tightening.

so i tried a 1/4 inch bolt with washer, nut and lock washer. passed it through the fastener on the fender, got the nut on, tightened it up, and snapped it.

so i got a similar set up with a grade five hex bolt. snapped.

so i got a grade eight, 5/16 inch hex bolt. got it started into the fastener and got a nut on the other side. tightened up nicely. hinge stopped moving.
but during all this i did lube the hinge points a bit, which freed them up but now the hood won't stay all the way open. now THAT is a weak spring, correct? are those easy to replace?

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
during all this i did lube the hinge points a bit, which freed them up but now the hood won't stay all the way open. now THAT is a weak spring, correct? are those easy to replace?
Hood hinge springs are easy to replace, I use an old seat belt. Hook the small metal piece around the spring end and firmly pull it out of the hinge spring saddle.

Don't remove the hinges from the car, it is not necessary. Support the hood with a broom stick or other suitable device.

1970 Cougar hood springs are stronger than any of the others of this hinge design. No doubt due to 1970 Cougar hoods having more weight on the front.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hood hinge springs are easy to replace, I use an old seat belt. Hook the small metal piece around the spring end and firmly pull it out of the hinge spring saddle.

Don't remove the hinges from the car, it is not necessary. Support the hood with a broom stick or other suitable device.

1970 Cougar hood springs are stronger than any of the others of this hinge design. No doubt due to 1970 Cougar hoods having more weight on the front.
where can you find decent springs? WCCC has used springs, but i have used springs - so how do i know their used springs are any better than mine?

Napa sells the proper fender bolts in a bag of ten. i just got the feeling that it was the fastener on the fender that stripped out the original bolt. both ends of the bolt still had threads. it was the middle of the bolt that was stripped clean of any threads. is that a fastener issue or just an old worn out bolt?

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
where can you find decent springs? WCCC has used springs, but i have used springs - so how do i know their used springs are any better than mine?
1970 hood springs are in short supply at WCCC. We don't have a way of measuring the spring strength, your hood springs are probably just as good as the ones we have for sale.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts