Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all...how are the scoops that are just for show put on? Don't they pull off without somewhere for the air to go?

Just curious, someday I may put one on my baby - though I just don't know yet...had one guy go near-ballistic on me for even suggesting putting a scoop on a '67 - *LOL*

Though - knowing me, I look back and wonder why that didn't make me put one on the next day! :p:

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tim - felt like an idjit askin'...but hey...there are no stupid questions (just stupid folks ;)

what kind of scoop is that on yours? Is it a stock one?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
if you dont want a big hole in the hood, you can always cut a few relief slots in the back of the scoop itself to let the air out. im around alot of Rice Rockets and one guy had to do this when he put a scoop on his roof. no, i dont know why the hell hed do that either, but hey...... hmm. cant follow that up lol.

·
Registered
314 Posts
If your nervous about bolting it on, you could always use some epoxy to hold the scoop to your hood.

Steve - I always wondered why in the hell those goofy ricers put scoops on the roof too. If you need ventilation buy a honda with a sunroof.
I know! He doesn't have A/C. LOL

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
like steve said to put slot holes on the back to let the air thru if you put a "dummy" hood scoop on and your traveling pretty quick, the air could blow that scoop right off the hood.Best bet find another hood and cut a hole and get a scoop and make it functional instead of chopping up your original hood.I put a eliminator scoop on a spare hood i had for my 70 and still have the stock hood put away for safe keeping.thanks
pat

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, I'm not worried about bolting it on at all - I guess I just thought there had to be somewhere for the air to go as it is scooped up *LOL*

I would really prefer to put it on the hood, without a hole in it, and leave it at that (if there's no hole in the hood, I don't have to dump water down on my engine when I wash the car! *L*)

I've always like the look of coug's with scoops, but just have listened to the guys that say "don't wreck an original hood" - though it's funny - I don't worry about ANYTHING else I want to do to the car...I figure it's mine, and I want to be comfy and cool, dammit! I've actually thought about turning it into a convertible, in fact...the only reason I haven't is 'cause of the cost.

My wife really wants a convertible Camaro *ducking*, so I'm afraid to say anything about turning the Coug in to a convert...she might say "Let's just by the Camaro instead"...
Hey, I'm willing to look "pretty", but I won't work harder for it *snicker*

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
"Yeah it's the stock (and functional) 428CJ Ram Air."

LOL :)

They were selling one of those engines here, for R60 000, thats about $7000.00. And that was just for the engine, no car attached.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Get a Cobra Jet or GTE scoop and no one who doesn't know a lot about Cougars will be the wiser. I like the looks of the CJ scoop

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Like xr7gt said:
"Get a Cobra Jet or GTE scoop and no one who doesn't know a lot about Cougars will be the wiser. I like the looks of the CJ scoop."

The scoops were available in 1968 with the similar body style. Either would look great.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone - I've seen that scoop in magazines...I like it too - thanks again - it's cool to get such a response from an "opinion" posting *L*

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Tim B said:
Like xr7gt said:
"Get a Cobra Jet or GTE scoop and no one who doesn't know a lot about Cougars will be the wiser. I like the looks of the CJ scoop."

The scoops were available in 1968 with the similar body style. Either would look great.

Ditto
shane:ylsup: :ylsup: :ylsup:

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alas, I sent a pic of a GTE to the wife, and she said "I don't care for that look"...

So...*sigh* gotta decide if I wanna be sensitive or not now...*LOL* (not to mention deciding if I want to ever have sex again...)

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
What does she know

She's a girl oooohhhh I said it out loud ha ha.
The GTE scoop looks really good from the front but from the driver's seat you loose the distinguishing lines on the hood it kind of looks like a big mass not sharp like it could.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My car had a scoop off of a boss mustang on it, so when I redid everything I went with the GTE scoop, the fiberglass repro's have the front blocked off so you don't have to worry about the amount of air it catches,plus I think It looks kinda cool,(everybody to there own thing though).

Tim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts