Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my car off at the shop to have them look at mounting the hood scoop. He said there are no spots he can see underneath the hood for drilling out where the studs would go. From what I've read here, I thought underneath the hood there were guide "holes" to make the install pretty fool-proof. Is it possible my 69 hood doesn't have them? I wanted to check myself before taking it in, but it hasn't stopped raining here for 3 days and I just got it Saturday.

If there aren't any guide spots to drill, does anyone have the mounting location measurements handy for a 69 XR-7?

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm trying to search the site for the info but my dumb job keeps getting in the way.:)

Ben

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
There are three scoops, original, repop and repop with correct stud placement.

Last chance to not destroy your hood.....sell the scoop imo.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Ben,

Look here: http://www.ktlrestorations.com/69cjvert/project10new.html at the first picture under "Finished". Six of the holes are clearly visible and the holes in the frame of the hood are there regardless of if the hood had a scoop or not. You just drill the holes in the skin for these. These are the six obvious locations, you should be able to locate the remaining ones, but here is a little more on them:

Two others at the rear of the scoop you can see the nuts through larger, nut clearance holes on either side of the two rear (of the six above). I believe all that is left is two at the front and those are like the "two others" I just described.

Reagards,

Bob

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info. That's what I thought about the holes in the hood skin. I'm hoping to run over there in an hour or so and see for myself. I also found the measurements from the back of the hood so if for some reason the holes in the hood skin aren't there we'll know where to start.

Ben

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...I also found the measurements from the back of the hood so if for some reason the holes in the hood skin aren't there we'll know where to start.

Ben
You mean the hood frame, correct? Since you didn't (up until now) have a hood scoop, there would not be holes in the skin.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You mean the hood frame, correct? Since you didn't (up until now) have a hood scoop, there would not be holes in the skin.
Bob, you're right. I'm still working on getting the correct terminology for everything. I still have a hard time with deck lid. I just ran there (luckily it's only 1/4 mile from work), and looked at it briefly and I saw those holes plain as day. I'm going to try to see if they match up to the scoop when I get home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts