Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again all,
I finally got the hood scoop all repaired and painted, looks Great! I made a card board template as advised and used it to line up where the scoop will sit and to mark all the holes to be drilled. I got everything mocked up and the hole location marked and discovered that the area of the hood where ALL the bolts will enter the hood is where it is "double plated" with steel. The area of the hood the acts as a re-enforcement for the hood. This area of the hood is about 2" thick ( as far as a bolt is concerned). I'm thinkning that I have to drill larger holes through the re-enforcements on the underside of the hood to be able to access the studs ( about an inch long) to put the nuts on. This is my '68 XR7 and the scoop is an Eliminator hood scoop that I am trying to install.
Any suggestions? I'm sure someone must have had to tackle this one before me.. Hope someone can wise me up to what I should do now.
Thanks
Charlie

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Hi Charlie, On the factory hoods where the studs from the scoop come through there are cut-outs (like a hole saw would make) big enough to have a socket on the nut. So I would just find a hole saw the right size and go that route. (Drill a pilot hole first of course)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking the case must have been. I have a bunch of different hole saws, sure one will do the job. Wasn't planning of this one... It never seems to fail, there is a surprise around every corner : ) I guess I will start by drilling undersize holes in the hood with a bit long enough to penetrate both layers of steel, them get the hole saw out and make those cuts, then finish up by opening up the hole on the hood surface to the proper size. This sound about right? Thanks for the quick reply, you must have known I was in the middle of the prodject...

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Hi Charlie, On the factory hoods where the studs from the scoop come through there are cut-outs (like a hole saw would make) big enough to have a socket on the nut. So I would just find a hole saw the right size and go that route. (Drill a pilot hole first of course)
He is doing a Eliminator scoop on a 68 XR-7. I don't think it will have the holes on the underside.

Charlie, I think the idea of drilling undersize holes from the top through both sections is a sound way to go.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Make sure to put a drop sheet on top of the engine before you drill down...don't want the little metal shavings to get into somewhere that can cause problems?..

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great advise as usual!! I put a drop cloth over the engine, used template to set scoop centered and aligned, marked and drilled small pilot holes to set up for hole saw ( went with a 1" ), then went back and opened up the mounting holes 1size at a time. This kept paint from getting hot. I have pictures of holes drilled and of the scoop installed. It didn't look right without the stripe up the center of the hood, so took it off and have it prepped to paint the stripe tomorrow. I'm going with a Black hood scoop and stripe up the middle, black as well. This worked well on my old C.J. In the lost and found. Once I get the stripe done and scoop on I will post the pictures of the different stages. This has been another learning experience. Seems everything is with these cars...
Thanks again all for all your help!! I should have pictures up after the weekend, so long as stripe dries well.
Charlie

·
Registered
75 Posts
Charlie,

I realize that this is an older thread, but I was wondering how the final install went. Do you have any photos of the finished product? I am thinking of installing the eliminator-style scoop on my '68 XR7 as well.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,
The install was not much of a difficult task. I found it helpful to make a cardboard template of the scoop and the location of the holes. This will give you an easy way to find the "right spot" for the scoop, it helps with centering it, locating where to put the holes, all in one step. Some of the holes will require the use of a hole saw (goes on a drill and has a centered drill bit and a cutting blade around the outside. There are a few areas where the reinforcement straps of the hood make it necessary to do this, pretty easy to do, the holes will already be drilled from the top and easy to find. I found the 1" hole saw was perfect for this task.
I will post a link to my online photos for you first thing tomorrow, there are a bunch of photos showing the install from a clean hood to seeing the holes drilled to the final install.
If you have an questions about the install, please feel free to contact me and I would be happy to share any knowledge I have or entertain any questions you may have. I love the way the scoop looks on the hood!! I haven't cut through you to make it functional but looks cool still.
Hope this helps, I may still have the template around here, somewhere and can get a picture of it too if you like. I could send it to you, if you want but may want to make your own so the holes will all be in the right place.
Photos to come
Charlie

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Tylerk,
Here is a link to my photobucket page. I think this will take you to the page where I painted a stripe up the hood and installed the hood scoop. There is also a picture of the holes drilled into the hood. I started wil a smaller hole and worked my way uptil I got them to the needed size for a nice fit. Hope these are what you are looking for.
http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/charlie01002/library/?sort=3&page=1
Charlie

·
Registered
75 Posts
Excellent - it looks great. Did you have any troubles getting it to sit nice and flush on the hood? I was all set to put a scoop on mine but then saw a different Cougar with a GTE-style hood scoop in person and the scoop looked like it was just sitting loose on the hood. There was a gap all around and it looked like more of an afterthought than being something that belonged on the car.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The one that I wound up getting was an original eliminator scoop. There are a couple of photos in that site that show what it looked like when I got it. I am not a body mechanic and this was my first time with a paint gun on a car and the scoop. It all went very smoothly. The scoops fits very flush on the hood, there are no gaps or spaces around it on the hood. I guess the best advise I can give is to take your time, make a good template to get the holes in the right places and drill smaller holes and work your way up to the size you need. I think I wound up going up 2 steps from what I thought it would be, the holes wound up being a little farther out that I thought... This may have been because the template, being cardboard, may have flexed slightly on the slight hump on the hood. Double check everything as you go, be sure that you have it how you want it, mark holes and start drilling. It sits back pretty close to the back of the hood, a couple of inches, about 2 finger widths from the back edge of the hood.
I love the look of the eliminator hood scoop on the '67,'68 body style. Then again I prefer the 67-68 body style all the way around. I'm sure you will be happy with it once it is done!!
Charlie

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Looks great. I put the same scoop on my 69 but no stipe. I like what you did. Very nice. The luxury I had was the holes were already in the brace steel underside of the hood due to the fact it was an optiion. Made the job much easier. I went black too on the blue hood. I like the contrast and I did not feel lile painting it. I also made mine functional. Needed the air flow anyway so why not. And the new semi high rise manifold was too tall tk shut the hood. So out came the saw and drill and on went the scoop.

Great job again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts