Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_0954.jpg I just finished rebuilding my 351W in my 69 XR7, I am very happy with how the engine compartment turned out with one exception. My new hood insulation is hitting my breather when the hood is closed. After driving the car a few miles I noticed blue paint on insulation, and I could see scuffs on my breather.

Does anyone know how to shape my new insulation to clear the breather when the hood is closed?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Sorry to say, no one has come up with a correct under hood blanket, and I have had no luck trying to form the repops.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I use a towel to cover my air cleaner. I remove when the hood is open.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How does this sound?
1. Cut a hole in a piece of 1/2" playwood a couple inches bigger in diameter than the air cleaner.
2. Lay the insulation on top of the playwood.
3. Place a heavy round object just smaller than the hole in the playwood on top of the insulation, 1/4 round plate maybe
4. Let it push the insulation down thru the hole in the playwood.
5. Let the heavy plate mash the insulation flat maybe forming it like the origianal hood insulation.

Do you think this will work?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i gave up trying to form a pad for out 67---heres what i did do instead :i cut out a rectangle piece of 1/2 in plywood that matched the inside of the hood stiffner and a second piece about 2 inches larger all around. i then bought a second hood pad . the new pad got a hole cut in it with the smaller pattern and a plug was cut out of the old piece with the large pattern.installthe plug to the underside of the hood with spray adhesive and then install the new pad as normal--the nw pad helps hold the plug in place and it no longer hits the air cleaner
doctordesoto

·
Registered
980 Posts
The engine compartment looks GREAT! I got the same insulation and put it in my '70 ...once I ran the car for the summer it made it's own impression in the insulation. The only problem was the "Re-pop" insulation clips...after a cruise of about 100 miles they let go and the insulation was laying on top of the motor when I opened the hood. I was able to get "original clips" from a member here, a quick shot of black paint on them and they looked like new and the insulation hasn't moved since.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The engine compartment looks GREAT! I got the same insulation and put it in my '70 ...once I ran the car for the summer it made it's own impression in the insulation. The only problem was the "Re-pop" insulation clips...after a cruise of about 100 miles they let go and the insulation was laying on top of the motor when I opened the hood. I was able to get "original clips" from a member here, a quick shot of black paint on them and they looked like new and the insulation hasn't moved since.
Thanks for the complement on the engine compartment. I am using my original insulation clips so hopefully I won't have that problem. Oh, and by the way great color combo on your cat.... mod.jpg they would look good setting together a show somewhere

1 - 8 of 8 Posts