Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me some ideas on getting my hood aligned. Finally finished the sheet metal work and got the fenders back on. I had taken the hood and hood springs off, now I'm having a bear of a time getting the hood aligned.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Oh my God, I thought I was the only one! My hood seems to be slightly up on one side of the car, and from the front of the car you can see it's not perfectly aligned.

I realize that my venting won't help you... but it makes me feel better :)

Maybe if others hear about more troubled Cougar hoods, more will help. If anyone's been down this road, I'd love to share in your experience.

Sly

·
Registered
519 Posts
[raises hand] :wave:

I'm part of the crooked hood club too!
Mine is high on the passenger side just above the hinge. :angryfi:

i hope somebody can shed some light on this one.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
:wave:
No kidding! I thought I was alone in this one. My last one was high on the driver's side. About 1/4 of an inch. Drove me nuts. It was fine until I took the hood off for an engine change. I have been wondering how this one was going to come out.... Someone out there HAS to know how to fix this.
:confused:

·
Registered
889 Posts
I got mine to lay flat

I took off the hinges too when I detailed the motor,now if I remember I finally got it lined up at the front where it will close and open OK.Then look on the sides to see if yo have to go adjust the bolts on the hood if you do just loosen a little(one side ta a time)tap it over with a small hammer.Make sure that these two line up right.Heres the hard part-looking at the %^&$###!hinges the two back bolts make sure they are all the way down in the slot adjustment then snug them up.the trik is the front one lossen that one.The front bolt has to be adjusted UP that is the one that brings the back of the hood down.It took me a while I walked away cooled off.But instead of loosening them I just backed off the bolts a bit and made small adjusments.Once you understand the way that hinge works you will get the message.I hope this will help.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What have I started here!. I walked away from mine after about an hour. Got it straight side to side, but can't get the back right. It's either been too high or not far enough forward. I won't be going to the garage tonight, will start again tomorrow. After the hood comes the headliner, then the front and rear window :eek2:

·
Registered
889 Posts
its great

here you are screwing around all day you know that your puttig it back togeather the way it was,but it just aint working out.Then you "SNAP" throw the wrench,kick the tire and through your hands in the air.Next day it goes back togeather that you could do it blindfolded.It makes you think that you forgot somthing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i guess i need to join this club .....i do know this...it isnt a easy deal to do...(align the hood-that is).....i am wondering if it has anything to do with the hood springs????....but anyway....i tried to get one side to keep from popping up higher than the other side of the hood....it is "very,very, annoying"....

·
Registered
70 Posts
At the risk of making the purists among us "cringe", is there any way to convert to a modernized hood assembly?

Maybe by doing away with some parts and adding others. I'm thinking mostly those damn springs as mine seems to be more and "up and down" issue then a "right to left" one.

...of course, since most of cars around today will be long gone 30-35 years from now, a crokked hood may be the least of their worries. ;)

Sly

·
Registered
889 Posts
I was thinking of that too

My son and daughter have a 3rd gen camaro and firebird. i have had the oppertunity to work on both hoods.hrsI had to replace and his just needed to put new hydrolic pistons on. only 4 bolts and the mounts are flat I think it can be done they take up way less room.But its not a the top of my list.Maybe when the day comes and the motor has to come out.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Sign me up for the club, I've allready paid at the door. The hood was next. Glad to know I will NEVER get lonely.
The next question is Window alignment on 69's.
Have to epoxy them in IF you can get them in the track at just the right spot.
Any advise here, Dan?
Thanks in Advance
Wrink:ylsup: :ylsup: :ylsup: :ylsup: :ylsup: :ylsup:

·
Registered
889 Posts
did that too

I broke a window last year.I got a replacment and the chanels were right at the end of the window.my original were about an inch and a half i on both ends.I regluded them at the end like I got it.Big mistake.If you can remember how far in the chanels are on the window your going to reglue.keep them the same as your car.It seems to very car to car.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Dan, Thanks but I never have that kind of luck. Mine were all in pieces when I got the cat. The front track comes up slower than the rear track, and until i have this problem figured out I'm not going to glue the window permantly. Also the slides at the back of the track do not ride the track smoothly, they are loose, makeing them jump and grab and rattle when rolling them up or down, this is very frustrating, any advise here?
Thanks again Dan, Best regards to all reading...

:dogpile: :1zhelp:

·
Registered
889 Posts
are theguides loose

you have 2 posts that the brackets bolt on to,see if they are bent or loose.also see if the 2 flanges that go around the post glide easy.there is a stright channel arm that helps keep the window even as it rolls up.sounds like somthing is missing or bent.Cut a small peice of luan board a little smaller than the window.Stick it down through the door and into the brackets.Hold the top ofthe board and crank the window up.It should tell you where the problem is without beraking the window

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
hood alignment

Mine hits the passenger side corner and chips the new paint job when you open the hood. The body shop put it back on. They couldn't even do it right.:(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts