Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My good friend who is a member of some crummy camaro board says that someone on the camaro board from California was talking about a Honda car commercial. He claims that in this commercial that Honda says that the car advertised is a "True Muscle Car". Has anyone else seen this terrible commercial, or even heard about it? Just curious.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
"TMCPBR":1poke:

True Muscle Car Powered By Rice:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Seeing as how a Muscle Car is a term assigned to certain North American cars during the 60's early seventies, I fail to see how Honda in all good conscience could possibly use the term in association with anything they've made or ever will make.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Logan is right on!

I have owned many cars, one being a 1999 Honda Civic Si. The Si was the top dog for Civic's and I never considered it to be a Muscle Car. It was a Sport Compact, and that's all it will ever be. I don't consider the new Camaro's, T.A.'s, Stang's, etc. to be Muscle Cars, they are Sports Cars. Muscle Cars are particular '60's/early '70's American made automobiles. Nothing more, nothing less!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i live in Cali and i havent seen that one yet. they do have alot of stupid commercials for these cars though. the Civic Si ones err, suck. but the Toyota Celica ones with the "Sport Appearence Package " are the best... and they sum it up with " Looks Fast". thats the problem, its always about looks with the import crowd

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah those "Looks Fast" ones are always good for a laugh. My favorite is the one when the dog runs into the back. It makes you wonder if the dog could catch the car....probably:D

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now I'm thinking that the guy who talked to my friend may have been talking about the commercial for that Toyota Matrix, in one of the commercials they call it a Hot Rod:)( )

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
What I always laugh about is when they make the car spin, rotate, power brake etc... and the first thing I always think about is "Yeah, that's what I want my car to do when it rains". LOL:)

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
sliding cars in commercials

DJ,

The first thing I think of when I see those sliding cars is, "Yup, another out-of-control front wheel drive car" It isn't limited to the ricers either.

I thought one of the big selling points about the concept of front wheel drive is its supposed superior traction since the drive wheels are under all that engine weight. Here in the winter I see a much higher incidence rate of FWD cars that are slid off the road or into the wall than I do rear wheel drive cars... and I love it when I see the SUVs flipped over off the road. :rolleyes: Gee, I've never seen a rear wheel drive car flipped on its back because of a little snow.

I live out in the boonies where you're lucky to see a snowplow within a couple of days after a snowfall. The best cars I ever had for driving on snow/ice were my 77 and 78 full-size Ford wagons. That's 5400 pounds of road-holding weight! Both had 429/460s, posi rears and snow tires! I would go through snow so deep all you could see the two tire tracks and the two muffler tracks. I have even pulled 4x4 trucks out of the ditch with those big old cars.

But I digress.... (another senior moment) :p:

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
We get the proper R spec lightweight stuff down here and with the exception of the Skyline GTR I would even consider giving any of them a muscle car tag

Although a twin turboed 4.4 litre quad cam Lexus motor might be nice in the front of the 69 convert:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
just saw the commercial... " The Civic Si as a muscle car" then showed it running through the hills. the car stops, some goofy looking kid comes out of it and flexes. then he takes off. hmmmm not impressed. especially with the shot of the speedo going from 40 - 50 mph.... i could run faster than that.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Cougarcj, I'm with you on the wrong wheel drive as there always in the ditch. Once they slide there done, no saving it as with a rear wheel drive. The first thing everyone dose when a skid starts is to let off the gas and it acts like putting on the front brakes and then your screwed.

Rear wheel drive for me thank you but its not really availble anymore. mm

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
cup holder

if it has a built in cup holder its not a muscle car! real men carry their cups in their laps like their supposed to. I saw the pontiac comercial with the hot rod refrence obviosly these idiots have never seen a hot rod and its another shruken suv POC! Question? when did 4 doors become kool?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Real muscle cars have 8 cylinders and only 2 doors!
The problem with FWD and SUVs in the snow is that all those yuppie idiots believe the propaganda about FWD and 4WD going anywhere. Truth of the matter is: If you can't drive, you can't drive - doesn't matter what you've got under you. :rolleyes:
To make matters worse, up here in NH the private driving instructors give the driving test to their students, the state gives the written exam! Now there's a ton of driving schools with 100% pass records! Woo-hoo- "Come to my school, ALL of my students get their license on the first try!!" Of course none of them can do much more than point the car and hit the gas.
Talk about the fox guarding the henhouse.
I can't wait to get back to TX!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you're a crappy driver, it doesn't matter if you drive a Geo Metro or a Formula One car. It's like Chuck Yeager said about flying a fighter plane - "It's the man, not the machine."

And the only way that 4 doors is cool is if the car is out of the late 1930's or 1940's and all four doors are suicided.

·
Registered
168 Posts
ah come on

Just let the children pretend they have a fast car; they will be just as far as everyone else in my rear veiw mirror.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts