Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang
has anyone made any homemade interior pieces? Like the rear sail panels or sheetmetal interior pieces or rear deck pieces? Because it seems noone has a set o sail panels for the rear so i may have to make up a set for them.But dont know what backing material to use to make them. The door panels i got 1 extra door panel thats in good shape and 2 undamaged ones (which i plan on holding on to) And will have to get 1 more standard doorpanel eventually down the road.But can anyone steer me in the right direction of the backing material to use for making these sail panels? :1zhelp:
thanks
pat

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I have the same problem, no back side panels, no rear panel, so would also be interested in anyone who has done it themselves, or else Pat, when you do it, make a template of the sizes, of I can just copy it :)

·
Premium Member
4,107 Posts
When I redid badcatt way back when, the sail panels in the car were in bad shape. So I went to a local upholstery shop and found some vinyl of the same type used on the headliner and covered them with that. Looked really good. I'm planning to move them over to the 69 390 cat soon. I did find a set of ruff white ones when I cleaned out the garage this week. Let me know if you want them.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Neal
the panels you got are they XR7? if i dont get them and 72 cat wants them by all means he can have them. Does anyone know what kinda backing i or WE can use to make up a new template to replace the water damaged/sunbaked original ones we got?
pat

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Pat, I live too far away for Neal to send them to me, nice of you to think of me though. When my son redid the door panels in his golf he used masonite, don't know what you call it there, they use it hear for election posters, its like pressed board, about 5mm thick, easy to cut and moderately flexible. He then covered it with vinyl, padded it first with thin sponge/foam. Looked pretty good. My problem is how to outline the shape I need, plus the back of the 70 Std is curved, if you know what I mean, the side panels don't go straight and then a seat, they are sort of curved towards the seat. Also have no headliner, now that is a real problem.:)
Oops, just reread your post, you want to know what to use to make a template, been thinking about it, you get a type of thin plastic perspex, like that plastic they put in the box a kids toy comes in, just a bit thicker, its see-thru' so I guess we could draw the lines on it with a marker, roughly first, and then neaten it out a bit.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Dayle - my 69 sail panels are new and not installed yet. Email your shipping address to me and I will mail you a pattern of mine. BTW - my XR7 ones are not covered, they are simply black faced cardboard. If you have the interior lights you need to cut them in, otherwise they are plain. Sounds like your masonite will do nicely.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Thanks Bob, e-mailing you my address now. Is the 69 definitely the same as the 70?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Here's pics of the missing interior on my 70, anyone know why there are so many 'holes' in the back panel thing, are they for speakers or what, looks like 2 6x9's could fit in the one lot.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
dayle, the holes in the back are for speakers (outside holes) and the middle hole was for a rear defroster.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Thanks Rick, thought they looked perfect for 6X9's, and what about the holes in the sail panels [?]

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
those are just the design of it. Only a small light goes in there, about 2in. wide, on XR7's.

·
Registered
175 Posts
For my package tray I used a piece of wall paneling and covered it with a piece of vinyl that matches the headliner. I'm in the process of trying my luck with the padded face piece on the dash. I'm going to attempt to trace the pattern from the original onto the same wall paneling and use thin foam for the paddding and cover it. Then if I can ever get her running again...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts