Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been tracing the ownership history of 68 KAT and have a unique twist.

I got her from the PO...he lived in Ft. Worth, TX. He owned the cat for about 2 years. He purchased her from a gentleman in San Antonio, TX. He was the owner that started the restoration process with a complete strip and repaint (I wish he would have replaced the trunk pan). That process started in 1994 in Dayton, OH.

I traced the title back to Ohio and asked the DMV where the car came from in 1993. Much to my surprise it was transferred from a Minnesota title!!! Yep, that's right...I live in MN.

The sad part is that even with our wonderfully high income tax, our DMV destroys records after 7 years...:(

Does anyone know how to obtain the selling dealership info for a cat? My DSO was 84 (Home Office Reserve) so it could have gone anywhere.

·
11,000 Posts
Get the report on your car from Kevin Marti. A DSO 84 car is most likely an employee lease or purchase plan car which would be very common in the Twin Cities given the fact that in 1967-68 St. Paul had both a Ford assembly plant on the Mississippi River Road at Ford Parkway and the Ford Carlite Glass Plant opposite downtown St. Paul (now closed). The Marti Report will list the order type and the selling dealer of your car. Contact Kevin at:

[email protected]

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Royce,

I have the deluxe report for my car already. It lists the following:

Order Type - Sales Vehicle
DSO Item # 1007
Dealer# 84235M
Ford Motor Co
Dearborn, MI 48121

What is also bizzare to me is the mfg date...7/29/68 and sold 8/1/68. Pretty late in the build cycle dontcha think?

I thought they changed over to the new models in July???

·
11,000 Posts
Right, model change over was during the July 4 plant shutdown but like my 428 CJ car yours must have been produced after the change over for some reason. The information Kevin gave you shows only the dealer number because he doesn't know what that number correlates to. His list of dealer numbers and names gets updated by people like me and Phil Parcells submiting such information to him from owners manual information that typically has the number and the name printed inside the front cover if filled out correctly.

Back to the order type, it was a sale unit to either a Ford employee or a Ford supplier like a US Steel employee or a Philco employee for example.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So...that brings me full circle back to my original question.

From that dealer number (84235M) is there any way to determine where is was purchased?

Otherwise, I have to find the secret data storage warehouse that most certainly exists and get my infor from the MN DMV :)

Ken

·
11,000 Posts
The dealer ID number will lead to the selling dealer one day, all it will take is for some one to find that number and a dealer's name in one of the glove box Owners Manual books and report it to Kevin Marti. Keep checking with Kevin, he gets information every day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts