Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a holley mech fuel pump on my 390 FE and am not sure which is the inlet and outlet. Anybody know? I would just crank the engine over but the wiring is not complete. Also am curious what you guys used for fuel lines from the pump to carb. Steel, braided or just rubber. Any pictures would be greatly appreciated.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
After once experiencing an engine fire due to a cracked rubber fuel line - I have to say NEVER use rubber on the pressure side of the pump! Not even that little 2" section at the carb -- that's what let go on mine and squirted directly onto the distributor!

Braided line is still just rubber underneath, so even that should be replaced every five years, especially with today's not-so-friendly fuel blends!

I buy 5/16 hard metal line and bend it to whatever I need. Of course it helps to have tubing benders and flare tools...

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I'm not certain on your Holley, but the OEM carter pump has inlet near the bottom, outlet higher up. Given how they work, I'd have to believe it is same.

Have you already installed the pump? If not, could you move the arm and tell me how much play it has before engaging the pump diaphram? I'm trying to diagnose a problem with my engine that I'm slowing convincing myself is the pump. If you have your old pump handy, perhaps you could try on that one if the Holley is already installed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not certain on your Holley, but the OEM carter pump has inlet near the bottom, outlet higher up. Given how they work, I'd have to believe it is same.

Have you already installed the pump? If not, could you move the arm and tell me how much play it has before engaging the pump diaphram? I'm trying to diagnose a problem with my engine that I'm slowing convincing myself is the pump. If you have your old pump handy, perhaps you could try on that one if the Holley is already installed.
I have already installed it. The ports are on the same level. One doesn`t seem to be higher than the other. I don`t have my old pump. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Here is a pic of the way I thought it should be run. Now I am not sure.
I believe that you have the ports reversed. Holley mechanical pumps are made so that the lower fuel bowl clock position can be rotated. Looks like you should rotate the lower fuel bowl clockwise and connect your inlet fuel line to the other port.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe that you have the ports reversed. Holley mechanical pumps are made so that the lower fuel bowl clock position can be rotated. Looks like you should rotate the lower fuel bowl clockwise and connect your inlet fuel line to the other port.
Gottcha.. Thanks katnip..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts