Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any advice on installing a holley with an electric choke. How do you hook up th eelecrical connections? My 2v has a exhaust heated choke. Thanks

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
my choke is wired into my Coils hot lead. the ground is wired into one of the screws that holds the chokes housing. it works for me.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
This topic has been posted before with several different conclusions.

But I just happened to go for a ride with my brother today in his Mustang and he was talking about his engine rebuild and i happend to ask him where he hooked his elec choke up to as I was thinking about adding a elec choke to my eldebrock carb.

After all the discussions before on the subject I think he gave the best solution yet. He ran a wire back in under the dash and hooked it right into the hot side of the ign switch.

Imagine that, a full 12v only when the ign is on. Now that works for me.

:) mm

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wouldnt that be the same as wiring it to the hot side of the coil like steve said?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
basically yeah, but thats his way.... he just wants to take credit for it LOL jk jk

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats what I though. I just hate going through my firewall and behind my dash

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Well if you guys think its the same OK by me!!! But if you want to why dont you try this for your self, turn on your ing switch and take a voltmeter and check the voltage at your battery and then check the voltage at the + side of the coil. Then come back and tell me its the same if you want to.

Did you ever wonder why they have 2 small wires going to the starter solinoid? Well one is to activate the solinoid from the ign switch and the other is wired into the ign to provide a full 12v for starting purposes. That is because the ign dose not run at 12v all the time. If it did it would fry the points in a short period of time.

Now a elec choke may work at less then 12v but is that the way it is suppose to?

Oh and by the way I dont need any credit, I said I got the idea from my brother.LOL jk jk mm

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Coil circuit does work at 12v until the car is started when it reverts to 6v if the resistor wire is still working. Don't know of any other switched 12v source under the hood, that is active on ignition on

6v from coil or STA appear to work ok on chokes on all the holleys i've ever seen installed.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Leon, your right. I posted the last post for the fellas who think the 2 connections are the same and there not just as you pointed out. Look at the time of our post, we were typing it at the same time.mm

·
Registered
216 Posts
In have a Holley 780 cfm unit on my 68 std, 302, and have discovered how to eliminate all of this discussion regarding electric choke connections. Have a machinist mill that part of the carb off. My car is a little cold blooded, but only for a minute or two!! By the way, my carb came off of a 302 BOSS.

Ron.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
calcat, please explain which post your calling the ign side. You have the 2 small ones, one takes 12v to activate the solinoid, the second one sends 12v to ign for starting. When the car is running you check the voltage at the second terminal and you will find you do not have a full 12v there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts