Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the carb off to give it a bit of a clean, and I see this pipe is virtually broken off, they put installation tape round it, that did'nt work too well obviously as it was unraveling. Anyway anyone tell me what its function is.

·
Registered
614 Posts
That's a vacuum provision for your PCV system (I can see the valve on the other end of that hose). How was the car running? Not so great? This could be reason why, if it was leaking. It's a shame that the fitting is broken, it's a little important. Is there still enough of a stub left to put hose on? If not, I'm not so sure what can be done with it, outside of maybe soldering it back together...I've never seen that break before. Hmmm....

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, car was not running so well, I am sure I can replace the hose, the valve on the other end is held on with a clamp thing, so I just need to find the right size hose, looks like a 10mm. Valve was also filthy, just cleaned it out a bit, I am first going to see if the hose is long enough for me to cut off a section at the end. Its only the hose that has broken off, not the pipe thingie.
Thanks ZT

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replaced the hose, car goes much better, now fuel pump leaking:(

·
Registered
2 Posts
you are lucky--no problem

You are lucky--the hose is just broken--Trim the end of the hose nice and straight--them remove the hose that is still on the Carb nipple--use a razor blade and split it lengthwise--it will split off of the alumonum tube--Just push the trimed hose in back on the nipple. The car will run much better---

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Eric, did exactly what you said [before I read your post :)], glad to know I was doing it right, car does go much better, pity about the fuel pump problem, but it may not be that serious, we had to cut off a bit of the hose that goes from the pump to the carb, it had split, and I think we may have dislodged the pipe at the pump end, or where is goes from bigger hose to a smaller hose, if its leaking there then it will look like the pump is leaking, can't really see how cleaning the carb would suddenly cause the fuel pump to pack up, but that is a Ford thing, fix one thing and next thing goes:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts