Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 69 Eliminator with a Windsor, not near nice yet and I've had it for around 35 years. Of course through when I was young I put a cam in it, intake, gears, holley..... needless to say it not really near stock. Anyway where I live you cannot get plain gasoline, only ethanol blend. It never really was an issue until I let it sit for six months or so and when I tried to start it, no go. I took the bowl apart and there was a fine power in it. Now the Holley is a C9 carb off a 69 428 CJ 735 cfm and its never looked like this before. I did some reading and it looks like they are getting away with putting more than 10% ethanol in the gas and it reacts to the zinc in the old carbs. see pic attached. Has anyone else seen this in their carb and if so what did you do? Real gas is not an option here, I purchased Joe Gibbs Carb Defender but haven't gotten to test it out yet?

Thanks for any input

Attachments

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Yes ethanol is death to carburetors .. It don't matter if they are on snowmobiles , dirt bikes , lawn mowers or cars . It attracts moisture and corrodes them as they sit .... I have a brand new Holley avenger that sat over winter .. I only run pure gas premium in the car but it corroded the heck out of the inside ... Found out the hard way even thou it says pure gas on the pump .. it may not be ..... lawn mower sitting over winter ... snowmobiles sitting over summer .. all need the carburetors cleaned every year now ... or replaced if they corrode too bad ... products like Sta-bile 360 help by coating the insides but nothing is a 100% cure .... One of the mods here also has posted photos from the inside of one of his ethanol attacked carburetors ....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ndtorque, looks like a mess that I've got to deal with. The Joe Gibbs Carb Defender is supposed to stop the corrosion on the carb and lines but could be a fairy tale. I'll let everybody know how well it works.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
The real and ultimate solution is to kill the politicians...

·
Registered
946 Posts
The real and ultimate solution is to kill the politicians...
Tisk Tisk Bob, :evil: I'm sure the NSA and others are monitoring our board as well as our cell phones :smoke:

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Kill! KILL!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts