Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few recently on eBay, and have always thought they are kind of cool. Did they have ANY other application than a COPO chevy?
Any body here ever run one on a street motor?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
3 barrel? HUH! They say you can operate just fine on one testicle so who knows.....maybe it has some merrit!:rolleyes: tee hee

I would imagine it has basically the same functionaliity as a 4v - jut a bigger barrrel in the rear

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
AMC offered a 950cfm in their Group 4 parts cataloge. I ran one on a built 390 javelin and on my 1st GTE. It was great running carb. Really woke both engines up.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the rear is a single bath tube shaped throttle plate. I don't think I will ever have anything that needs 950 CFM, but I would like to have one just because they are COOL...

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah - 950 is a ton of flow.....probalby suck a VW through it if you got to close!

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
I bought one that looks brand new. They really did a good job on it. I am going to try it on my 428 CJ. Just temporary until I can find the right carb for it. I will let you know how it runs once I get that jewel fired up.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Make Sure the rear butterfly clears. Some intakes have a bore devider that may have to be cut out to clear it.

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
I am only using this carb for a little while. I am also buying a Sidewinder intake, C6AE. I dont plan on cutting it. I was just going to run a 1 inch spacer. The ram air will more than likely be an issue as well so I figured I would use a K+N filter. I am missing part of my Ram air anyhow. Looking for those parts as well as the correct carb. Do you think it will run allright with that spacer? One thing I know it will run better than the carb thats on it. It is only short term. Who knows I might like it so well I cut the intake.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will be interested to hear your opinion of how it works on a street car....I will probably end up getting one, if for no other reason than to hang it on the wall with my other 'Le Mans' bowled' carbs...

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
I talked to Royce before I bought this one. He told me someting along the lines that the three barrel dynod better than any other carb. Again Something like that. The jist was he really liked it. What do you think that one inch spacer will do? As soon as I get caught up a little I am taking a weekend and wrenching on that car. Water pump, intake, carb, wires, and brakes. I am really looking forward to it. I will definately let you know. Be carefull over there.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I took Twin City speedways class record in 1973 running a 950cfm 3Bbl on my 1st GTE 427. I loved the carb.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's starting to sound better! If I get around to building my big block ford powered 55 chevy PU, I'll try one on there..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts