Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back when I was just a tot, my friend's dad drove a '67 or '68 Cougar. Even at the ripe ole age of about 7, I loved that car. I'll turn 40 this year, so I treated myself to an early present. Found a nice base model '68 to play with.

I have absolutely no experience working on cars. But I do consider myself somewhat mechanically capable, and I'm definitely willing to try and learn. Thought I best introduce myself, as I will undoubtedly drop in now and again with stupid questions :sun:.

The car is in very nice shape, and runs great. At the moment, my intent is to replace the carpet and headliner, then complete the dashboard installation. Eventually, I'll move to the exterior to address some minor rust spots. Then probably paint and maybe wheels.

Anyway, take a look. I'll be around once I start to really dig in.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Welcome man. Nice looking starting point. The key is have fun :)

Hey post some specifics about your car: Engine, trans, axle etc.

Peace

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Welcome aboard. Seems to me your first order of business should be to find out the source of those little drips leading into the garage.:evil:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey post some specifics about your car: Engine, trans, axle etc.
Happy to... about what I know for sure, at least. 302 V8 automatic transmission. Engine and transmission were both fully rebuilt about 15 years / 10,000 miles ago. The car is all original, with the exception of paint only.

It's a pretty interesting find, actually. The previous owner had intended to convert the car from the base model to the XR-7 version. So he had collected literally a truck load of parts for the project. Life happens, I guess, and he chose to pass the torch to someone else. That's me. I'll do him proud :)

It's a little overwhelming right now, but I agree with what you say about just having fun. Besides, I have forever to work on it. Wanted something to keep be busy on weekends. I definitely found it.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Hey! I recognize that car! That was the one I posted about on the cougar for sale forum last week. If I remember literally sounded like a fortune in XR7 parts. Some rust issues if I recall. I found it on Raleigh, NC CL. Congrats on what sounded like a really good deal!
Chuck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Welcome - fun times await ! I too have some work to do on my interior, head liner and carpet specifically. Perfect time to work on it while the snow is falling.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey! I recognize that car! That was the one I posted about on the cougar for sale forum last week. If I remember literally sounded like a fortune in XR7 parts. Some rust issues if I recall. I found it on Raleigh, NC CL. Congrats on what sounded like a really good deal!
Chuck
That's the one.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Could you post your vin and left door data code plate information please, for the national cougar database? Thanks and Welcome to the Madness, Disease, Serious Deficiency ?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Welcome Sir Purr. Kick off your shoes and stay awhile.

The previous owner had intended to convert the car from the base model to the XR-7 version.
Usually about when someone mentions this, some guy named xr7g428 will stumble by muttering something about "best way to convert a standard to an xr7 is to buy an xr7." Ignore this guy. We drinks he thinks too much.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Welcome as well, Sir Purr. Looks like you have a great car to enjoy.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Welcome to the madness! Lots of of good information and opinions on the board and as long as you are willing to listen, you will learn more than enough to restore your car. Are you in the Raleigh area? I have family in the Durham/Raleigh area.
Paul

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Appreciate the warm welcome fellas...

Stupid question #1 - The car has sequential rear turn signals. Last night I noticed that one of the three bulbs on the drivers side was out. But the sequence still worked on the 2 lit bulbs, and completely on the passenger side. I had a replacement bulb and popped it in. Now neither the left, nor the right work at all. :bong:

I ordered all new replacement bulds. Figure that would be a good cheap place to start. In the meatime, while I wait, is there anything else I may want to lookout for??

Thanks!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Can you hear the sequential motor working, or any clicks when you engage the turn signal switch? If so, I'd check grounds, etc. Also, even if the turn signals aren't working, do the brake/running lights work? And, are the two license plate bulbs lit when you turn on the headlamps? Another thing to check: there is a small relay bolted to the back of the driver's side fender extension. It can get lose and if it's not properly grounded, things start going dark. You may have inadvertently pulled it loose when changing the bulb. There are a lot of things it could be, unfortunately, so it helps to diagnose as much as you can. I hate to say, I've had way too much experience with this subject, as I'm sure most others here have. The good news is that both of my cars still have their original systems intact and working.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts