Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the plan my hockey sticks are like many i have seen before in good condition, but broken form the original mounts. I'm trying this out just for giggles becuase I have two sets of hockey sticks. This is my plan it's called J-B Weld HAHA has anyone tried this before let me know I will post results on this experiment.....

Lance
By the way can anyone help me with my interior problem still need to know if my 68 has pads on the pillars and how to mount them if it does??????

·
Registered
252 Posts
The epoxy will certainly work but you might need to take them off again someday. I would use 3M doublestick tape (automotive grade), that is what they use for most appliques, medallions, and moldings. Any supplier will have it.
Tom

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
E-Z off

They are pretty easy to take off it's just a matter of pulling the seat part of the backseat out taking out one screw on the bottome of the interior panel, a couple on the door step, pull the interior panel , roll down the window and take out the three screws that hold it on. Keep in mind this is complicated some by having drip rails still installed which I do not( at this time). Can be done in about 30 minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Epoxy

I used JB Weld first and let it cure for a couple of months while I was doing other things. I put the 1st one in and it didn't line up right so I had to sand the JB Weld down more where it oozes out through the holes.
The second one snapped the weatherstripping plate from the hockey stick and I thought I was SOL but I went to ACE Hardware and got there 5 minute Industrial strength epoxy. It was a better way to go in my opinion.
My 2 cents.

·
Registered
266 Posts
use a little dab of liquid nails. that will hold it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
hockey sticks

I used several 2-part epoxy's and found JB Weld the best. Doesn't mean there isn't a better expoxy though. I did find that I had to let the stuff cure for no less than a week to get a good cure. So take xr7gt's advice and let them set awhile.
You can spearate the two parts after putting an epoxy on them. Most of the strength in an epoxy comes from its ability to hold two items from being pulled apart in a straight, away from each other, movement but not from a sideways movement. If you can put a screwdriver between the pieces and twist it, you should be able to separate the two parts.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm giving myself away, but...

What are hockey sticks?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey Wayne, its the 1/4 window chrome mouldings that are shaped like......a hockey stick......well, not really but that's what they are referring to! :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Now that I know that...

When I took mine off at the start of my resto, I noticed they were glued on with silicone. I remember thinking at the time that I'd have to use something else when I put them back on. I'm thinking JB Weld in sort of a spot weld manner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts