Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone used a late model high torque starter with the built on solenoid in a cougar with the regular solenoid also? How do you modify the wiring?

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I have a McLeod hi-torque starter in mine but I use the original solenoid. My high torque on doesn't have it's own. It works great and I feel worth the extra $$ it cost over a stock one. It really helps with hot starting situations.

Mark

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Late model hi-tork starter

I'll probably be using some sort of hi-torque starter on AlphaCat when I get it back together. I was wondering the same thing. I'll have to ask my 'electrical guru'. Those newer starters sure are smaller than the old clunkers. I'm gonna need all the help I can get trying to turn that 11.5:1 engine over!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hi-Tork starters

I have 2 of them on cars now. I got them off E-Bay.... I know, but I thought I would give then a try. They look great, are brand new, 1/2 the weight , alot smaller. The cost was only $80 to my door. The wiring (included) is simple 2 wires from the starter. Just switch heavy starter to other post on relay, and new one to batt side of relay. They sound a bit funny, but start everytime even after running around the tracks. Vic Yarberry runs one in his Vintage race Cat too!
Cougar Bill

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I agree with your sound description Cougar Bill. I've had people tell me just after I fire mine up, "That don't sound like no Ford starter to me...!" I'll also add another plus to the smaller size units. They are easier to remove when running headers.

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts