Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a high-output alternator like the ones offered by Powermaster? I feel my car could use one considering the amount of electronics I'm running. I really noticed my stock one having a difficult time keeping up.

I know that many are offered in the heavy-gauge one-wire configuration. This eliminates the regulator since it is also internally regulated. There is an optional 3-wire harness which allows you to retain the factory idiot light, or in my case, the ampmeter, which I would like to do.

Anybody out there running one? And if so, your opinions please? I am also wondering if anyone has changed over to a voltmeter instead of an ampmeter?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Mark

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow!! mm, thanks very much. Way more information that I could have hoped for.

Mark

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yeah anyone who reads that site wont opt for a one wire alt after they learn the way they work. mm

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hey, thanks for the info. I had been considering a one wire, but no more.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I run a Powermaster 1-wire 140amp chrome alt and haven't had any problems with it. I run a Voltmeter gauge in the cockpit. The advantages of the 3 wire, I could care less about.

My Powermaster in my 69 runs a consistent 13.5v and everything works like a charm. Plus I was able to eliminate a big chunk of the wiring mess in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
13.5 is a little low. Most batterys at rest show 12.9. Running is useally like 14.2 volts. mm

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Just converted the 69 to local Ford Bosch alternator from late model Oz Falcon and used 3 wire set-up. The only difference is the earth wire and the indicator light wire. I chose 3 wire and put all wires in a harness (would have used shrink wrap but stores were closed on New Years Day).

Three wire in a shrink wrap will give you same look as single, except where the wires attach to the alternator and if you plan the exits and use black cable glued to the back of the alternator they are really hard to see.

One thing you might want to consider if you are using stock solenoid termination, is to add a fusible link somewhere in the circuit

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone for all your input. It has been most helpful.

Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts