Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Told you I'd send a Pic. Of course now that I purchased it, All the "little" Flaws are starting to show. The Hideaway grill woks, but when I turn the lights off, after a while, the grills tend to inch their way back open. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
You've got a leaking vacuum pot most likely. Fairly common. Most of the Cougar vendors can rebuild them for you at fairly minimal cost....

TCCN has a great article on converting the system from vacuum to an electric system. Planning on doing it someday... :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
I put new vacuum lines in my 70, because it use to do the same thing after about 4 or five hours, and they helped alittle bit, but I need the vacuum pot to be successful. Louckily the ones on the 68 I have now work like a charm. - Chad

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Go to the main page and look on the left side of the page and click on the links. You will find vendors listed there.
I think Mustangs Unlimited is from the east coast and I reccomend them for you, as they have done well by me. mm

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I'm not sure how far he is from you but this guy sells parts and has a good reputation in the cougar community but I have never personally bought any thing from him. I think his stuff is mostly used.
Randy Goodling 2046 Mill Rd. Elizabeth Pa. 17022
Parted
Cougars
1-717-367-7576 during day 1-717-367-6700.
Good Luck
John

·
Registered
698 Posts
If you unhook the springs on a 1970 that you don't drive all the time, it will solve the problem of sneaking open. The springs are a safety measure to keep the lights open in case of vacuum failure. they put a lot of strain on the close part of the vacuum motor. It may also work on other models. I have them unhooked on all seven of my 1970 cars. Been that way ever since I have owned them with no problems.They open and stay open until I shut the lights off, and then they close and stay closed.

·
Registered
406 Posts
That's actually a really good idea! - Chad

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yup, It works. Been running my '68 like that since '82.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Doh!!! Why didnt I think of that!! Mines getting unhooked. Although there not that bad, they take about 5-6 hrs before they start creeping up.mm

·
Registered
406 Posts
cougar1 said:
Yup, It works. Been running my '68 like that since '82.
haha that's great. I was changing some fuses in the "box" and Punctured a vac hose down there so now when I turn the lights off they stay up and I have to put them down "manually." I'll fix that next week ;) Also I picked up the new Parts Plus / All Parts Auto 2002 calendar today. Feburary is a dashing 70 Eliminator. - Chad

1 - 17 of 17 Posts