Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i bought this last week, It came over from the USA a few months ago.
I'd never even heard of a cougar before but when i saw this i had to buy it :)

I still don't know much about them.
I have a 1969 with a 351 windsor (i'm assuming 2v)
It has disc brakes on the front already which saves me upgrading them, but i will be getting the booster and calipers serviced ASAP.

Its got tires on it which are 7 years old 195/60/15 fronts, and 235 rears.
So i'm looking at putting on a set of BFG radial TA, 235/60 front and 275/60 rear (mainly just to increase the traction/safety, not so i can drag)

I'm looking into putting on new springs and shocks too, and it floats around like a boat at the moment. Advice on what to use would be appreciated. It like to keep it at its current height.
I'm after some headers/extractors to suit it too, haven't found anywhere that has some to fit it so far...

If you see anything odd/wrong about the car, please point them out, as i wouldn't know what is right.

I just bought like $500 worth of new rubbers and bit and pieces from westcoastcougars online.

Any advice is welcome!

Some pics

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nice cat. Love the stripes.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Looks like Leon may have somebody else to talk to down under huh? Nice looking cat for sure! Looks like you have a few other items in your collection - is that a 55 or 56 Buick I see in the background?

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Good lookin' car! Looks very clean.

Looks like it has Sport Special rockers, which makes me wonder if it was actually a Sport Special or if they were added to "class it up" a bit more.

Do you have a Marti Report for it yet? That will tell you all of the factory options and original configuration for your car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CHeers guys :)
Unfotunately the other cars in the pics belong to the importer ...

I don't even know what a Marti Report is, but i'll google it later.

I have contacted Leon already and hopefully we can meet up this weekend, he actually lives less than an hours drive from me haha

·
Registered
508 Posts
Good lookin' car! Looks very clean.

Looks like it has Sport Special rockers, which makes me wonder if it was actually a Sport Special or if they were added to "class it up" a bit more.

Do you have a Marti Report for it yet? That will tell you all of the factory options and original configuration for your car.
Yea, that was the first thing I thought when I saw the pics,.... Sport Special rockers, could it actually be???
Nice to have a fellow cougar owner close by,..I think you're about to receive an education.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi, and welcome aboard!
I watched your car online for a while thinking it looked very reasonably priced and in good shape. I am from WA and like you have a '69 H code car that I have had since 2007. I deal practically exclusively with West Coast Cougars now as their service is outstanding and they REALLY know their stuff!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have no idea if it is a sport special - any other ways of telling from the body codes or something?

Cheers peter, i had to beat 2 other guys to get the car :) WCC seem pretty good yeah :)
what does H code mean?

Does anyone have extractors for their cars?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Welcome. I was hoping you'd be in Sydney but clearly you're up the coast with Leon, looks like I'm still the lone Sydney chapter!
I have a 69 as well, xr7 in dark metallic green (currently off the road while I rebuild front suspension and renew brakes/hard lines etc).
Cheers
Stephen

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
There are extractors for LHD cars on eBay. Stay away from Australian Falcon stuff as they are for a wider engine bay and only the XW GT had a 351W. I have them on my 351C and they are a PITA. Headers only help the engine breath at the top end of the rev range, when you have passed the useful maximum torque anyway. In normal day to day driving they only make noise and generate heat near the firewall.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Welcome. I was hoping you'd be in Sydney but clearly you're up the coast with Leon, looks like I'm still the lone Sydney chapter!
I have a 69 as well, xr7 in dark metallic green (currently off the road while I rebuild front suspension and renew brakes/hard lines etc).
Cheers
Stephen
You forgot to mention it is an R-code - add envy smiley here

·
Registered
121 Posts
H code simply refers to the fact that the car has a standard Windsor 351 2 barrel carb. If you look on the I.D. plate fixed to the rear side of the driver's door, you'll see a series of punched numbers. These provide information on rear axle ratio, , body colour, transmission type etc once decoded and is a very useful thing to have.

Peter

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ah thanks for the help guys :)

I found a set of 4V heads on ebay, I dont know much about this engine stuff, are these what i want for my car?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1969-FORD-351-4V-WINDSOR-CYLINDER-HEADS-XW-GT-FALCON-SHELBY-MUSTANG-MACH-1-GT350-/280848606894?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4163e1a6ae
As far as I know, the 351 heads were the same for both 2V and 4V. If you want to make it similar to an M-code(351-4V), perhaps put a 4V performer intake and a holley carb and you'll be good.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I think those would be 59 cc chamber heads - pretty decent heads if they are in good shape like he says.....but having newer looking spring shims makes me think somebody has rebuilt them not to long ago..? Not necessarily a bad thing, just doesn't jive with what he says? (Shims tells me they were done right actually because somebody took the time to correct them)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cheers mate, so in summary, do you you think they are a good deal? HAHa what does 59cc chamber mean? And this is showing my ignorance, but i can only see 2 valves on head cylinder head, how is it a 4v?

And will i get much gain from swapping the heads over with/without changing the carby at the same time?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah - at least on this side of the pond that wouldn't be a bad deal...in "car speak" 2v/4v means 2 barrel or 4 barrel carburetor, and yes, these older cars only had one exhaust valve and one intake valve per cylinder - the things that vary are the sizes of the valves and the size of the chambers, which contribute to the amount of air flow the heads can handle. You won't see huge gains.....you can run them on 2v or 4v intake. They will flow better with mod's that take advantage of them, like a higher cam profile, a 4v carb and intake, and better exhaust flow (headers, larger tubes, less restrictive mufflers)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for taking the time to explain that to me :) So better of just starting with an intake and a 4v carb then, and maybe upgrading heads later down the track?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts