Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new here... blah blah blah and that's my life story :D

Well I dont have a Cougar yet buy am looking at the older ones, especially 1968's.

But I dont care for the lights or grill on those. Anyone know if it is feasible to switch out the lights and grill for something different?

Thanks,

P.S. you guys have some nice cars

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
It is feasible but it will look horrible.

You might want to try a rectangular headlight set up to fill the whole area where the headlight covers go. Options could include dual quads under single glass like those on a European MB 280E (W123) from the early 80s or 180E from early 90s

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmmm..

mabye, all i really wana do is get those nasty covers out of there..

and after looking through all the pictures on this site, I think I want a 67' now... But havnt been able to find one in WA. yet. :(

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they cost more though :(

and im not made of money like some of the guys seem to be on this forum....

I'll just keep looking

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
well....
First off, most folks on this sight are not rich or even have a lot of cash for their cats they just love to keep them going.
Second, the headlights on 67-70 are a trademark of the animal. If you don't like them then pick a different car. If you want a cat because its cheaper than a Mustang then save your penny's a few more years and get what you want not what you will settle for. You will do yourself and our hobby a favor... my .02.

Sorry for the rant... eight days at sea does that to me...

Don

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
that is a nice one, Theres a 68 4 speed car in my town for 2500.Canadian. needs work but is a runner. Deals are out there. Theres also lots of mustangs in the local buy and sell here too, from 3500-7000 Canadian. Just have to look.

Rick

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Like don said
the 67-70 headlight doors are the cougars trademark. If you dont like them build your own set. Use your imagination. Anything can be built w/ time and patience. It doesnt take a person alot of cash to build a nice cruiser we make deals to everyone that has a 67-73 to help keep the vehicles looking good as well as running good. Finding a decent 67-68 wont be to hard to find. If you wanna build a ground up car that your willing to be patient about try hitting the salvage yards. Look in the local papers, classifides and the Auto trader.. or email this guy [email protected] he deals in alot of 67-68 cars and parts and he is on the east coast as well.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
DONT RUIN ONE....

:1poke: Hey, if you dont like the grille setup (THATS WHAT MAKES A COUGAR A COUGAR) then just buy something else. Theres PLENTY of us who like them just fine and let us buy whats left of them.:rolleyes: You must have JUST started looking at cars because Mustangs are WAY easier to find and if you compare the same condition and are ALWAYS cheaper to buy. I'll guarantee you your better off to save a little cash and purchase something that maybe doesn't run but isn't rusty than to buy something that runs fine and has rust. Mechanical problems are WAY cheaper to repair than body work ANYDAY:) !
Like I said if you dont like the grill dont buy one period:angryfi: Remeber they dont and wont make them anymore, whats left is ALL thats left for everyone. Buy a Chevy if you wanna ruin something:p:
Just kidding, I'll quit jumping on your case now. Goto the pictures and look at the cars there I think the grilles will grow on you once you realize how rare and special they really are.
:D Scott

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hi Painted,

Welcome, as you can see we have a pretty passionate group of Cougar owners. :D

The grill/headlights on the Cougar is part of the whole package. I say give it a chance to grow on you before you start modifying it.

Some of the guys in the forum have blacked out grills, including the center nose piece and it really give the car a much more agressive look IMO.

example:
http://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=545&papass=&sort=1&thecat=502

The square headlights is a slick looking mod too. Just make sure that whatever you end up with that it can easily be reversed to stock if you decide to sell it because the next person may want that trademark Cougar front grill.

BTW, i've had several people comment on the grill and it makes for interesting conversation. My sister-inlaw once asked "Where are the headlights?" Once I flipped them up for her she thought that was very cool. I've also noticed on many occasion how people look and point when I flip the lights up. It's very cool to see and I enjoy hearing the hiss of the vaccuum when they're opening.

Good luck on your search. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Holy shoot you guys are psycho.... I was just wondering IF, it was possible to take the grill off....

and the guy who said the mustangs are easier to find.... Not in the Seattle Times Classefieds, and NOT in WA. mabye where you live. Well they are, but not for the money I have.....

Oh and that black grill looks awesome, I think it'd look cool with an all silver car. I might have someone photoshop that.

Oh, and does the 67' have the left to right or right to left back blinkers... you know what I mean?
--
and Im looking for one that will run, but I can still fix up. hehehe I have a really good example of what Im thinking, but you guys prolly wont get it :( Oh well that black grill looks AWESOME :) funny green though, butto each his own

·
Registered
519 Posts
Painted said:
Holy shoot you guys are psycho.... I was just wondering IF, it was possible to take the grill off....

Oh, and does the 67' have the left to right or right to left back blinkers... you know what I mean?
Yes, yes we are psycho, thank you for noticing :p:

The rear blinkers that you refer to are "sequential turn signals" and they are unique to Cougars and T-birds of that era. Wait till you get a load of the people in your rear view mirror who point and gawk at those when your signaling to turn. :D

·
Registered
519 Posts
knock yourself out :)

It'll be interesting to see what you guys can come up with... gotta love photoshops try before you buy capabilities. :D

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Watch for them sout of you

Hey sorry I jumped on you like that but a mans gotta watch out for what he loves!:) If you watch E-bay and other sites, I see alot of rust free cars around CA and closer to you for alot less $$ than around here (PA) and alot less rusty. I bought my Cat off of E-bay and drove 8hrs each way to get it! I goy lucky cause it didnt have hardly any rust at all:D
The grille and taillights are really cool if you've ever seen a Cougar up close in real life. If you are real serious about getting a car tae your time and look around alot of places not in your area. Before I found the one I bought I was going to drive to GA!(about 15hrs one way from me!!! It may seem crazy but you only have to do it once! And after you get started working on it you'll have a cool story to tell everyone about how far you drove to get it!!
Send a message/e-mail to Modified7, he has a decent 68 that he was going to part out but he told me on the phone its solid enough to fix so he'd rather see someone get it
Scott

1 - 20 of 57 Posts