Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to ask you guys some questions regarding a '67 Cougar I saw at a dealer.

Its a hard top, 289 v-8, air conditioning, it had two owners, and has 70k miles on it. The car itself is in excellent condition, excellent paint job, interior is clean and is top notch. They're asking 8995 for it. From what I found, it seems like a good price. I was wondering if you have had any major problomes with your car(s) and if this is a good deal.

Thanks for your time

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
$8995 is certainly on the high side and is definately a retail price.

If it's in as good condition as you says it is, I wouldn't pay much over $5500 if anything.

Bottom line is, it's a nothing remarkable, base model cougar, with the base engine and AC. If it had a 390 big block, it may command the price they're asking, but not with a sb 289 in it...

Offer them $5500 and see what they say. If not, I'd keep looking or wait. At $8995, it's not going anywhere anytime soon...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey

For a relatively standard Cougar (except for the A/C-nice option) I'd say 8995 is a little too high, but to examine the other side of the coin some people spend twice that restoring thier Cougars. Take a look at some in the paper and see what 4 or 5 thousand will get you. Odds are it needs freshening up...Stay away from anything with rust if you don't want to sink a fortune into body work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey thanks

Thanks for the info guys. I did find one online, for 5500, so I think I might keep looking to see how the other ones fair and how the prices run. I'm defenitely going to get one of these puppies, though, they are very nice.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yea, keep looking. You'll find a nice one out there somewhere. The only problem I see is that you're looking at the wrong year. You should be looking for a 70. he he he

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
you could get a 70, but then youd always have people pointing and laughing... wait, i might be getting a 70 soon, i have to stop this .. lol

·
Registered
266 Posts
lmao

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Here are some figures from NADA. Remember, CONDITION is everything! While I agree with Logan that a standard small block Cougar is less valuable and appreciates less, it is still very collectible. Some of us have owned our cars for a long time, so our opinions may not be up to current prices. 10 years ago you could of picked up a cream puff for $5K. Not anymore! Look around a LOT........educate yourself and be prepared to spend a little extra for a really nice car, or know how much $$$ it will take to get it there. It's easy to spend more than the cost of the car on a restoration.

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://hometown.aol.com/timbrands/Cougar.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MERCURY
COUGAR
Model: 2 DOOR HARDTOP
Weight: 3,005
Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price: $2,851
Low Retail: $3,925
Average Retail: $5,925
High Retail: $8,850
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Optional Equipment
Add-Air Conditioning: 10 %
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Totals
Total Low Retail: $4,318
Total Average Retail: $6,518
Total High Retail: $9,735

1 - 8 of 8 Posts