Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, my name is Jeff. I just recently got a 68 cougar in hopes of restoring it. Got a great deal on it but the more i started tearing into it the more it seemed that rust had just really ate this car apart. The uni body would require an intense amount of work to repair properly due to rust.

I currently have it listed to part out because with my initial research it appeared it would cost me way to much to repair all the rust correctly. I would be interested in getting your guys thoughts on whether i should attempt to restore this one or just part it out and find another one and start fresh. i will list the pros and cons of it.

Pro's

starts and drives
electrical all works
interior is in great shape other than having brown front seats and everything else white
new tires (which i could always hold onto for the next one i pick up if i go that route.)
glass all good
bumpers all look nice and straight
Have pretty much all the parts needed to restore it(some needs re chroming)

cons

sub frame rusted pretty bad
needs both rear quarters to be fixed right(was fixed very half assed by previous owner)
hood is starting to rust out on the underside but the top of it is still all solid
needs lots of dings and dents filled
needs new front seats
pretty much needs new floor boards all throughout and in the trunk
needs a radiator
needs all new exhaust

My biggest worry is that i will get into this and find stuff is so rotted that it is just beyond repair, well at least beyond being able to repair it within a reasonable budget.

So what do you guys think, should i try to find one from the south that basically rust free and start with that platform or stick with what i have?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
That depends on where you are, what your skill level is, and how much you want to spend..Got any pictures, so we can see how bad it is also?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I will try and get some good pics when the weather clears up. My skill level is somewhat poor. I have built a few extreme off-road trucks and just am finishing up a rock crawler. So i can fabricate, but fabricating on a wheeler is different than on a classic car. I think i could do basic bodywork and have it look great but i am unsure about more extensive stuff.

I was hoping from this point on not having more than $3000 into it seeing as how i have pretty much everything. I was looking to make the car look like a 5 foot job untill i have the money to get it professionally painted. So my budget is kind of small. The previous owner used expanding foam to fis the rear quarters and it does not look bad on the exterior, i know it was not done right and do not trust that they cut all the rust off before repairing it. The hood i am unclear on how to fix because it is rotting on the front inside lip. I think i can fix the subframe and floorboards with some extensive fabricating but it would not be anywhere near simple. From what i could currently find large patch panels are expensive.

From my initial research i should be able to walk away with $3000 out of parting out the car and i have found some cars with rust free bodies for the $1500 to $2000 range.

Also i live in northern Michigan, which is also where the poor car has spent it's whole life, it did however spend the last 20 years in storage.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I bought my Cougar here in Ohio, just about the same rust as you describe, I was getting pretty discouraged during the tear down process because it just kept getting worse, torque boxes, toe boards, floor pans, all crumbling rust. I stumbled upon another cougar with with zero rust but the engine and drive train was gone, along with the glass and interior, pretty much a shell, I got it cheap and used it for a rebody, numbers on frame don't match vin, I didn't think to cut them out at the time but it sure is a nice solid car all assembled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not very concerned about numbers matching. I just want a decent looking cougar to drive around when all said and done. After doing some perusing on here i am seeing people saying some cars that look decent but are in the need of a little interior work and fresh paint for $3000 to $6000. If you do not mind me asking what did the body cost you? Everything but the body on this car is honestly in good shape.

I also do not have experience with these cars so i am unsure what torque boxes are and what not, which adds to my worries of restoring this one

1 - 5 of 5 Posts