Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as i am getting to my car, finally!

i need to paint my lower dash, the question have any of you done a gloss instead of the flat? how did it/does it look?

the body side weatherstrip, ( more a door jamb question) where the stainless hoop goes around do you see body color on the inside , side of it? coupe not convert

on the windsheild /cowl area, im my bag of clips and bolts there is a few little s shaped plastic parts, ,,, i dont remember where they go!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
On 69 convertible, you can see some body color on the windshield pillar between the w/s and inner portion - at least on mine you can.

Those "S" shape peices could be the radio antenna cable holders. Those are roughly an inch long and are used under the dash pad inside the car. If you have a picture, someone will know immediately what they are.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok that helps a little, my car was whole when i got it , but the weatherstrip, headliner, and those hoops were out , its 100 here today i will shoot some and post them up

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I did my lower dash in gloss at one point, redid it in semi-gloss the next day. I am not crazy about the look since it has a leather grain texture to it. It's different when it is smooth metal, like almost all Chevy's from the 50's and 60's, and 67-8 cougars of course.

Are the plasic pieces black, sort of thin, and have 2 small legs that would straddle something on one end? If so, those go in the cowl to windshield trim. They act as a bumper to put a cushion between the stainless and the cowl, and kill vibration.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok mike that actually makes sense on the clips, the grain in the dash too overpowering as a gloss?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I think it was the fact that the texture caused too much reflection because or the dimension of the grain. It just bounced off in crazy angles, almost reminded me of boat flake paint.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
being your picky like me, ill go with your judgement. would you do a flat, matte or satin?
btw did you see my progress thread with the pretty color?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I went back with a semi-gloss/satin on mine. You still see some of the sheen, looks about like the same amount of sheen that a vinyl seat puts off.

I did see it, looks great. Love the color.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts