Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a wrecked cougar...i tore the whole front clip off...so now, everything is off past the doors...bumper, lights, fenders, hood...everything...i need some help puttin the stuff back on ...is there an order to it that makes it a little easier..or any tips/tricks...thanks in advance

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
i personally like to start with the wiring harness then and tubing as it is a whole lot easier routing the stuff without carpet and such in the way. But give it some thought are you planning on extra speakers or any other gadgets. how about engine bay? do you want to hide the wiring as much as possible and do a clean engine bay. how many trick things are you planning to add. have your reassebled everything to fit? is it in primer how about the suspension? Are you apinting this seperate or a as a unit? Are you standing in your garage looking at a pile of parts and a husk or is it assembled somewhat. have you restored all the parts to your satisfaction and is the chrome been sent out for rechroming? without seeing the car it is really hard to judge what your doing of course. but all the chrome should be installed last. reassebly goes best with electric the hydraulic then interior then glass which are kind of a double thing since you have to install the rear window after you put in the head liner and the front is esier to do with out the glass in but the side window have to be in before the panels can be put on. then engine and last chrome. i am sure i have missed a few steps but best thing to do is ask before each step that way many of us can help before you proceed. hope i helped but probably didnt just got ya more confused.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, just the passenger quarter panel was messed up from the wreck...and the lights, and bumper.....so im not putting the whole car together...just the front clip...wiring is there already engine is in...and it's not all original...its a street /strip car rather than a restored one...if that clarifies what i am doing with it...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Brandon

The order I finally came up with is Cowl first. This gives you an edge to set height and square hood with. Fenders next lining with sides of cowl for height and equal spacing each side and shim as needed to match hood.
Back edge of fender even gap with front edge of doors before moving forward on fenders.
Grill and lights go in before finders.

I had mine on and off 3 times before I discoverd that frame needed to be tweeked for things to line up. It can get very frustrating. This is also a 2 person job.

Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts