Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys its me again i drop in my 302 in and trying to get it to run!!!
the engine will turn over but seems like there is a load or something it. will not turn over fast.it turns over slow????
someone told me take the spark plugs out to the load is taken off??its a rebuilt engine so its never been fired before so i need help come on guys there is a cat in need??any local help will work to her is my cell 626-824-7649 my nave is cesar:cry: :cry: :cry: :1zhelp:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
hmmm, maybe the battery is low? if it cranks really slow that is what i usually look for. when we have cars at school that have been sittign forever and we try and start them thats usually what it is. other than that, you can pull the plugs if you want, and see how it cranks. obviously it wont start, but it will give you an idea. unless you have a wild Compression ratio, i dont think that will be the problem. most stock style 302s have about a 9:1 ratio. my twee fiddy one has a 9.5 stock, and it has no trouble cranking it over. ummm, what else, your timing may be advanced too much. that can make it really groan and turn really slow too. that might be a common thing esp after a rebuild. id shoot for the timing first as its the quickest to deal with at the moment. then see if the battery is low.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
did you put on new cables. The starter cable could be broken inside, not giving full voltage. The cable ends could be gross to. Take them off and clean them real good, then try it, or replace them with new ones just to be safe.

Rick

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
more info

also i know i should have done was to primer the engine!but the book i was reading did not say to do it that once the car turns on it will get primed that way.i just bought a oil primer bit to prime the engine. also found that there is no [email protected] coil.when i turn the ingition to the right but not starting the car i check to see if there is power at the coil but there is not.should there be when the key is turned to the right.ithink the starter was doing all the work because there is no power i put gas in the carb to prime that so it has gas but no power.i bought a new battery because i thought that to but still but keep the info coming thats guys.one more question i really dont want to know but here it goes have i done damage to my engine without priming it and i have only cranked a few times.maybe 3-5times:cry: :confused:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts