Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who can tell me the trick to getting the spedo cable off the back of the speedometer. It is kicking my butt I'm finally trying to fix my tac, but cannot get the cable off.

My clock's works when it wants to, I assume its just sticky should I use a silicone spray or WD??

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Scott its hard to discribe but easy to do. Just grab the sides and push in the middle of it and then pull back. There is like a locking latch in the middle of it.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Let me take a crack at describing it. Once you get it out, you'll see what we're talkin' bout... :rolleyes:

The clip that holds it to the speedo is kinda a C clip style connector. squeeze each side of the "C" to release the clip and then simply push/pull it off the back of the speedo.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I got the spedo cable off thanks for the info. Now if I want to test my Tac without hooking it back up to the harness, I just run the red wire to the + side of the coil and the black to ground right. The reason I ask is everything looks to be good on the Tac, no disconnected wires or bad soder. So its either my Tac is shot or I have bad wire's some where.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Scott If your needle is stuck its the magnet has come unglued from backing.I have used tachs and also can repair if you can not K? Catz ya

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ray the needle moves freely. in fact if I tip it upsidedown it moves. I just thought I'd check it without using the wire harness. Is my method for tesing correct.

If it is shot what do you charge to rebuild and or replace??

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Scott as for a price I can not really quote till I see but I usually can fix in an hour .My rate is $35/hour.or I can sell a used one for same plus postage.You can email me direct at [email protected] if you like K?Catz ya

1 - 7 of 7 Posts