Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I recently changed out my carpet and had some additional foam added to the bottom of my driver's seat. The additional foam made a noticeable lump in the seat and now my head is in the headliner unless I scrunch down in the seat. When I take corners going at normal speeds I have to brace myself so I don't slide out of the seat.

I like my seats because they're tall enough (I'm 6'4") but when I put the seats back in after installing the carpet they don't slide as easily on the rails as they once did.

My questions are: would it be better to buy new foam with hip and side bolsters added and have new covers made or would it be smarter to just get a pair of seats from a modern car? That being said what other models have seats that would fit the standard hole locations and are manual?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I think newer model seats are the way to go as seat design has come a long way since '69. However, I do not know of any that will bolt right into the stock holes.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I had the same problem when I had the seats redone in a '67 I had, i.e., the new padding was thicker and my head would sometimes brush the headliner. After a year or so (I didn't drive the car that much!), it did compact 3/4" or so which made it OK for me. If I had it to do over, I would probably have had a denser foam put in the middle, with the normal foam put on the outer seat bottom bolsters.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Expanding on what vert said.......I wonder if seats from a newer mustang would fit?
I had a set of 93 GT Mustang seats in Badcatt. Only mod needed was slot the mount hols in the 69/70 seat tracks.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Max your a bit of a tall feller for the "typical" car designs, you may want to take good measurements of what ya got now and head to the boneyard to see what might be available....in a lower slung seat. You probably gonna have to adapt it to the cat, but that usually isn't horrible. If you look at just the foam and vinyl costs for a recover you may want to consider the boneyard or maybe aftermarket seats like Recaro's or something...but that is pricey too

1 - 8 of 8 Posts