Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is an Eliminator. I am working on the molded plastic, interior rear quarter trim panels. The molded plastic backing has a couple of large cracks. Does anyone know what kind of plastic was used by the manufacturer, and what is the best means of repair? I tried fiberlass cloth and resin, but it did not bond to the plastic. I noted some plastic glues/epoxies state not for use with PE or PP plastics. I could really use some help. Thanks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Try semi-rigid fiberglass. I guerrilla glued the cracks...then smeared the fiberglass over the cracks generously about 3 inches to each side. I've also heard of others using masonite on top of the fiberglass for extra support. Mine is a 67', but the rear quarters were spider-webbed cracks and I had to build a jig to hold it while it dried. Took a while but got a sturdy, flexible plastic that held the vinyl fabric tight. Good luck.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
One thing we did on a Challenger we had was just sand everything smooth (aflter gluing cracks/etc with ABS glue) and then just redye it with SEM vinyl dye. Not stock looking, but it actually looked pretty nice and got rid of the scratches/gouges/etc that happen with these old plastics that are not stable (chemically or UV). They get very soft and brittle. Backing it up with fiberglass will probably help it immensly..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts