Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at a set of nos heads from what i can tell I think they are 351c they have a 202 casting number under where the valve cover is. my friend took the picture for me so he didnt write down the date code.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Looking at the pic and counting from the left spring, just forward between spring #5 & #6 I can see a date code with blue paint on it, but can't read it. Do you have a casting number (might be on bottom side of the head)? John

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
It is cleveland, but the casting number on the bottom side of one of the intake runners will tell more. They look like 2V Cleveland to me.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I understand the exhaust ports are not so good on those. Worse than 70-73 351C-2V (all Cleveland heads are exhaust limited).
And what doesn't make sense, the exhaust on a 2V has the ability to flow better than that of a 4V.

The D3 heads are Cleveland, and are decent heads, but the best ones are the D0 and D1 heads. The ones to stay away from are the D5 heads, which were developed for the 351M and 400 after the Cleveland went out of production.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
And what doesn't make sense, the exhaust on a 2V has the ability to flow better than that of a 4V.

The D3 heads are Cleveland, and are decent heads, but the best ones are the D0 and D1 heads. The ones to stay away from are the D5 heads, which were developed for the 351M and 400 after the Cleveland went out of production.
The D3ZE heads are 4V Cleveland, but the D3AE heads are strictly 73-74 400 which is why they don't have a 2 or 4 on the upper corners...

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I know the D3 4V heads would be open chamber. Didn't the "M" engine have an M in the corner?I thought I remembered to 400 I built for my moms ex had an M in the corners. Either way, if that is the case, the website that Art linked too needs to be changed, as they have D3AE under the Cleveland section as well.

·
5,470 Posts
D2 4V castings were open chamber as well, but still retained the larger valves. The D3ZE-AAs were cast for big ports and small (same as 2V) valves. No 'M's in the corners for 351M/400s. Just plain with no number or letter.

D3AE casting is only for '73-74 400s. 351C-2Vs used older D1 castings through '74. In '75 when the 351M came out, they went with the same D5 castings as the 400.

·
5,470 Posts
Andy, My wife calls me 'Mr Trivia' because I have all sorts of useless tidbits of trivia locked away between the ears. The problem is that I've got soooo much stuff in there, that the accessing part is getting slower... That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! LOL!!!

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
*waves at Johnboy*

I have a lot of trivia in my head too, but I'm pretty sure you'd put me to shame. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts