Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Just ordered a new white XR7 upholstery set and seat foam from WCCC for the'69. Since no one can supply white door or three quarter trims it looks like I am going to have to recolor the existing ones, together with the inner A pillar trims and other stuff as well...
Can anyone help with the correct SEM color reference applying to the'69 model year or the correct SEM white to use, and some idea how many cans it might need?
Actually getting the cans to Australia by any other means than a sampan is, of course, another issue entirely as air freight is not available!
Cheers
Peter Lynn:wave:

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
The closest match I know of from SEM is called GM Camel Beige. I can't remember the part number off the top of my head but I think it has a 57 in it. I dyed my door panels, quarter trim panels, dash pad, console and all the other plastic pieces in the interior and went through about 4 cans.

·
Registered
913 Posts
If you have a paint store that sells pPg paint, and have a touch up gun that can be bought cheap at harbor Freight, you can purchase _vinyl mixing color UCV2-357 White OEM/FORD_ (quart) and the color is a perfect match. Shoot right out of the can.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Of course,,,,,,,,,FOLLOW instructions perfectly. Cleaning B-4 is also key. I did a lot of my Buick dash, and it has held up very well.

Test on a piece FIRST. Maybe you have a piece that isn't off your car that will serve as a good test platform.

I wish you well,

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
992 Posts
Gm beige from sem is no more- instead you need sem's super white (if I recall correctly). Don't let the name fool you, it finishes on that beigey off white color. If you do a search on my username, I did a pictorial on dying some parts and used the sem white I'm speaking of. Check it out-hope it helps.
Kevin

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi and thanks for all the help! SEM paints are difficult to obtain here, but I'll make some further enquiries. It's a real pain not being able to ship them by air. There are vinyl sprays in Australia but the white everyone produces is a vivid white, which is not much use. I guess I'll wait for the upholstery kit to arrive and see how I can mach it. clanceman, on my way to your posting right now, and nice to hear from you again Jeff!
Peter

·
Registered
389 Posts
dye it the vivid white then roll around in the dirt then sit in the car. that should do it.

but not to hijack this thread, but is the "white" we are talking about, the same or similar to parchmet in my 68? im gonna need to dye some stuff when the time comes as well and dont want 800 different shades of white or off white if i can help it....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts