Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a new brake light switch that I bought from WCCC.The problem is that when the switch and both spacers are on the shaft together there is not enough room to slide the cotter pin in its hole.
Has anyone else had an issue with this.Should I just sand down the spacers untill it fits?
Here is the exploded view of how it should go together.
http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/brstlasw.html
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Meddle,
I recently did this job on my '69 and it was very entertaining. I too used the WCCC diagram, switch and pushrod bushing when replacing mine. Make sure that the pushrod bush is seated right home. There should be JUST enough space to clear the retaining clevis but it is a very close fit. Something else to check is that the sides of the switch are not getting slightly distorted. The metal is fairly soft, I found. It's an awkward little job because most of the time you are going by feel. The mounting shaft can come out of the left OR right side of the pedal which makes a difference to how easy the job is. Mine came out of the left side which made it very difficult to see past the steering column. I wish you success!

Best Wishes

Peter Lynn

·
Registered
980 Posts
I too put one in my '70 XR7, to make it easier to install... I took out the drivers seat, and unhooked the steering column (three or four bolts..sorry don't remember) but it gave me enough room to get it installed. Unless your back is double jointed, taking out the seat was worth the trouble of removing.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I should take the seat out.That definitely rachets up my iritation level contorting around the seat.Thanks for the tips will try again tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I just tried installing one on my 68. Seems the spacers are snug to the post, so I am guessing the bushing is to be trimmed within the master arm? Or should it slide under the spacer as well?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
You should not need to trim anything, it's a tight fit, but it all does fit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts