Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck won't start cold. I changed the relay and still no luck, I think it is the glo plugs, 103 thousand on the truck and they have never been changed. How hard are they to change? I have heard that out of eight probably six will break on me? Would I be better letting the dealer do it? Never worked on a diesel before other than changing that relay. oh, if I plug the truck in it starts right up? but doubles my electric bill!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I have heard the same thing about the glow plugs, but have never changed them. You should be able to get them for around 50 or 60 bucks, who knows what the dealer would charge though. From what I understand, you need to let some penetrating oil like PB Blaster soak on them for a while. Mine have never been changed and I have 216,000 on mine, just changed the relay a few weeks ago though. It fires up just fine, but I still like to plug it in. How cold are we talking anyway? I believe the manual says that if it gets below 0° or something around there then it needs to be plugged up. Did you check to make sure that you are getting power to the relay? Also the relay can be wired backwards and it wont work. I wonder if that is why my power bill went up last month.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup power to relay and new relay, was down to 2 last night not counting windchill and it is very windy. Dealer wants 600 for the job, they told me the glow plugs were 25 apiece, I can get glow plugs at an auto store here for 10 bucks apiece! Friend of mine said I should be able to do it no problem as long as the harness is ok. The harness is an integeral part of the valve cover gasket. He told me that the only reason they break is if you try and take them all the way out with a wrench. He said you loosen them with a deep socket but don't try and take them out. Then once they are loose put something around them like a hose or something and turn them out that way. Wouldn't mind trying so much If I could do it indoors. Truck won't fit in my garage and barn really isn't any warmer than outside! Hate to pay a dealer though if it is something I can do in a couple of hours. Just scared that If I break something it will cost me a lot more. Heard that if the glo plugs are burnt bad you stand a chance of dropping the tip inside and then you have to pull the head. That would be my luck and I wouldn't attempt that in the truck.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I had a diesel rabbit, and you can start the car with dead glow plugs by plugging it (block heater) or warming the block with hot flood lights from underneath (takes a long while). You only have to crank longer.

Boosting or getting boosted is often a cause. You need to try with the booster car off(you just want his battery).

when boosting, with 2 batteries and 2 alternators, your glow plugs will just burn out.

I learned that the hard way.

Jean

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Powerstroke-7-3-7-3L-Glow-Plug-Kit-w-UVC-harnesses-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem56337a6a44QQitemZ370230848068QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Might try something like this. If you do have a glow plug that shorted out or burned up, chances are it melted the harness as well. Just make sure you get the right one, they used 2 styles in 97. Early used 2 connectors on the gasket and later used 1 connector.

I don't think that jumping a car with these trucks will be much of an issue, they already have 2 850 amp batteries and a 170 amp alternator, some even had 2 alternators. The ambulance package built ones had 2 275 amp alternators.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts