Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help. I purchased a '69 eliminator project car and it is in the body shop going through metal and primer. Although all eliminator parts are present, the deck lid had rusted away before I acquired the project and a replacement was provided.

My issue is about attaching the wing to the deck lid. As I have no prior experience or reference point for the wing, I am somewhat at a loss. West Coast Cougars was very helpful in selling me new gaskets and mounting bolts ... but I am not sure if additional support (brackets) are needed on the bottom side of the lid for the '69 model year. Yes, the wing is light wieght and not a repo. I'd like to do this right, just need some guidance.

If someone else has a '69 Eliminator and could send me a picture and the proper spacing on the deck lid, you could help a father/daughter project move forward.

PS - I'm new to Mecurycougar.net but I've owned '69 cougars for almost 35 years. Thanks for any help in advance!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Sorry I cannot help more, but to my knowledge the original spoilers are the heavy ones and the repro's are the ones that are light.

·
Registered
726 Posts
No, there are no supports on the underside of the trunk lid. The threaded posts go through the gaskets, through the holes in trunk lid and fastened with washers and nuts. Here's a couple shots ....

DSCN3628[1].jpg DSCN3629[1].jpg

·
Registered
913 Posts
OK, here is the real poop. If you have the real spoiler it will have the stands attached to the spoiler with pop rivets and the install deminisions are, 20 1/2 in. from the back of the trunk lid to the back of the spoiler support, and 9 3/4 from the edge of the trunk lid to the center of the support, the measurement is the same on both sides. The spoiler is bolted to the trunk lid with 5/16 bolts and flat washer that go up from the inside of the trunk and is threaded into the spoiler feet, if you measure right, the bolts will be on the reinforced part of the lid. any questions, just ask. And 69eliminator has a 70 trunk lid on his car

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Sorry I cannot help more, but to my knowledge the original spoilers are the heavy ones and the repro's are the ones that are light.
69 and 70 original eliminator rear spoilers are completely different.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The 70 trunk lid has the cut out on the inner structure for the 70 style spoiler that has a wider stance.
OK, here is the real poop. If you have the real spoiler it will have the stands attached to the spoiler with pop rivets and the install deminisions are, 20 1/2 in. from the back of the trunk lid to the back of the spoiler support, and 9 3/4 from the edge of the trunk lid to the center of the support, the measurement is the same on both sides. The spoiler is bolted to the trunk lid with 5/16 bolts and flat washer that go up from the inside of the trunk and is threaded into the spoiler feet, if you measure right, the bolts will be on the reinforced part of the lid. any questions, just ask. And 69eliminator has a 70 trunk lid on his car

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! I look forward to getting the wing installed by the end of the month. I really appreciate the help and my daughter Jenny does too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts