Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so frustrated right now. From the beginning: About 2 months ago my Cat died on me. Purring along and just lost the spark. It would crank, but wouldn't fire. On advice, I ran a jumper wire from the battery to the coil and it started. I figured that meant the problem had to be either the ignition switch or in the wiring from the switch to the starter relay. Ever since I ran the jumper wire to the coil (HEI type- in the dist. cap), when I turn the key all I get is chatter from the relay. I've put a new igintion switch in and a new starter relay in as well as new battery cables, including from the relay to the starter. I traced the wiring harness and, at the voltage regulator I found where a PO had spliced in a connector pigtail from some other model car- the wires were different colors. All four wires were loose at the splices. I fixed those hoping that would correct the problem; it didn't. I know I'm getting 12 volts to the relay. I've checked all the ground connections and made sure they're tight. I don't know what else to check. The starter was working fine when this all started, so I haven't taken it off to test it (headers). I've never heard of the starter causing the relay to chatter, although I guess it's possible. Please help!

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
you have all new cables, starter sol. and it still does it, hows the battery? the starter could be cooked, but sounds like a pain to get at. Tighten the battery cables and clean the posts. Sounds like a battery thing to me.

Rick

·
Registered
63 Posts
one word distributor (dont know if its spelled right) check that might be it and there should be another wiring harness coming out the fire wall that you should checkgotta make sure you have a closed circut damn spelling

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I agree with Dark. I had a 71 Chevelle about 20 years ago that acted like a bad starter/solenoid - clicking but not turning. I checked & replaced everything - including the starter. I had good lights, battery showed good voltage, wouldn't even start with a jump. An old timer mechanic at the garage I worked at told me to replace the battery because it had a short in it. Everyone laughed at him but I replaced the battery and viola! It worked. Go figure.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree w rktman, steal a battery from another car & try it. You might be surprised! I had the same type of situation w a battery that tested good but wouldn't turn over.
Another problen that I encountered some time back was at the starter, everything was fine but the term on the starter was corroded under the nut! Also, the starter itself could be toast. Header heat, cranking trying to find problem, etc. could very well have wiped the starter,and/or the bushings are worn enough to cause it to pull mega amps. Or the starter( or battery) is not getting a good ground due to oil, loose bolts, etc. If the relay is clicking only, it almost has to be in these areas( as far as cranking). Good luck, Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts